1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ok Tech gurus I have a head scratcher for you

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Striker840, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Striker840

Striker840 Thread Starter

I have 3 Dell Precision P690's at work that are giving me fits. A little background first:

This all started with a single machine giving out memory cannot be read errors as a user was closing programs. He would run Lotus Notes, multiple excell spreadsheets, media player, and occasionally adobe reader, IE 6. It runs fine while untill he starts to close apps, then the memory cannot be read error pops up.

This was dumped on me Thursday and so far they have replaced the board, ram, drive, video card, a total of 2 new images (same image ALL machines get as a base image).

Friday I get the Dell Diagnostics CD and decide to tax the system. The CPU L1 cache tests fine, board tests fine, get to the memory test and I immediately get an L2 cache error and the test stops. I do a little more digging to where I can test each memory test specifically. The first one chokes, the rest test fine. I called dell and they sent me a new cpu, put it in yesterday and by quitting time it errored out again. As I mentioned earlier there are several machines with the same issue so I decided to check out commonalities between the 3 and here is what I found:

Same base image, all 3 came in at the same time so they defintely got the same base image, XP Pro. 1 runs Photoshop CS3, 1 Photoshop CS2, and the other runs a different Graphics program Paint Shop pro I think. Going by the service tag they all came down the line at the same time confirmed by Dell Rep.

The specs are:

Dual-Core Intel® Xeon® 5140 2.33GHz, 1333 FSB, 4MB L2 Cache, 65 watts
    XP Pro
    Quad-Channel* DDR2* Full Buffered DIMM Memory 2 1GB sticks
    Intel® 5000X chipset
    NVIDIA Quadro® FX 4600
    Integrated LSI 1068 SAS/SATA 3.0Gb/s controller supports RAID 0, 1
    SATA 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM with 8MB DataBurst CacheTM up to 250GB**
    750w PS

As I said earlier ram, hdd, video card, mb, cpu has been replaced in that order. Also all bios updates as well as driver updates have been done.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP LOL

edited for correct cpu and ram

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. Striker840

Thanks, just registered and will post soon. As far as the ram thing I posted late so I prob posted the wrong ram. LONGGG day, in the middle of a 125 unit refresh and am right now imaging and loading the base apps on the first shipment of 45 units along with this other problem child LOL

here is the link

http://www.dellcommunity.com/suppor...=Desktops_Workstation_Optiplex&thread.id=6672

4. Striker840

posted as P690 Workstation errors

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I have notified senior members and a moderator known for helping above and beyond the call of duty.

I will monitor that post, give it some time.

6. Striker840

Thanks a ton, I even tried moving the ram to different slots, still get the error. When I talked to tech support at Dell they offered to replace the box and I may take them up on it. Tomorrow I am going to put the drive in a diff machine that runs the same software but with NO errors. I am wondering if there may be a design flaw in the run of boards that we got. If he runs with no errors in the other box I will be getting 3 new machines.

This one is a serious brain teaser LOL

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice