1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Okay is this good for the monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zergpc208, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Okay is this good for the monitor?I have a LCD monitor and use the computer in the day at diifferent times about 8 or more times a day and I just keep the computer on and just shut the monitor off when I'm away from the computer and turn it back on when I'm on the computer.

Now is safe to do that or over time the on and off switch may go or the monitor :confused: I don't want a screen saver because it is a problem doing some thing on the computer and it goes to screen saver and I don't want that.

2. just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody

I turn off my CRT monitor, all the time, the same way you do. However, don't worry about the on/off switch, a LCD monitor has an inverter and florescent lights that you may be putting extra wear and tear on, and they can be quite expensive to repair. I guess it all comes down to how long you are away each time, and if you are willing to except the wear and tear.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why not use the built-in capability to put the monitor into power-saving mode? I have my monitors power down after 15 minutes of inactivity. It drops the power consumption of the monitor to about 1-2 watts, and turns off all the display circuitry. It's automatic, and when I come back and shake the mouse, the display is back.

Control Panel, Power Options:

Attached Files:

4. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Okay is there NOT a hot key that I can press like may be ctrl s or ctrl+ alt and s that will put the monitor in sleep mode.But if I move moues it will come out of sleep mode.

And is this good for the monitor or is it bad.Like if it goes to sleep mode 8 or more times a day is that not extra wear and tear :confused:

Some times I'm away 2 minutes some times 5 or 10 minutes some times 30 minutes or 60 minutes or more.I can't be pated to the computer.And some times I have go on another computer or do stuff in the house.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yep so simple, saves wear and tear and I have been doing the same thing for 10 years...I have yet to replace a monitor because one died, only because I got tired of it. I do use standby though as well set for 1 hour.

6. JohnWill

There are 3rd party utilities that will immediately invoke the power saving for the display, take a look with Google. I can't imagine this being an issue with longivity, it's never bothered any of the monitors I have, CRT or LCD. My monitors die of old age, not being turned on and off. I think you're overthinking this issue. Just set the monitor standby delay for a time you can live with and get on with your life. :)

7. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

There is setting to turn it off after 2 minutes:eek:

Ya but turning the computer on and off is not good or turning the TV on and off is not good.The swich could get flaky just like some kayboards.

I don't know much about liquid crystal display ..Turning it on and off 8 times day well 8 365 2920 in a year.

8. JohnWill

Whatever works for you.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice