1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Okay, so I think I screwed up.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 67cobain94, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 67cobain94

67cobain94 Thread Starter

Alright, I just got a Dell Dimension 2400 computer. I know it's cheap and all but I didn't pay anything for it and it does what I need it to. Everything works okay except for having tons of music I wanted more than the 256 MB of memory. I went to Crucial's website and it said it can support 2 GB of memory. So without thinking about it I bought 2 of these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...80002719472&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1 (1GB PC 2700 DDR 333Mhz 184PIN 1 GB PC2700 333 Mhz) This is exactly the same as what I have in my computer right now just 256 MB. When I plug one of them in with the one stick of my old memory the computer doesn't turn on. If I plug both of the new ones in at the same time it just sits idle at the Dell screen. Did I get incompatible memory? I've never had it not work if it was the same speed and such. I've checked for BIOS updates already to no avail. If I have to I'll sell these and find exactly what I need, but I was hoping for some good, knowledgeable opinions first.

2. Stevenpd

Stevenpd

Maybe your motherboard can't hold as much memory as you are loading into it. You should try to download a manual for your motherboard from the manufacturer's website and double check things like maximum memory capacity, what types of memory it supports etc.

Best of luck,
    Steven

3. 67cobain94

67cobain94 Thread Starter

Well I looked it up online and it says it will hold 2 GB. I made sure of that much, I think I forgot a simple detail somewhere though.

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

5. Pistoff

Pistoff

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

You cannot just buy ram by speed alone. Density, ecc factor and cas latency are what make it work so if you don't know what that is then you need www.crucial.com www.kingston.com or www.corsair.com and use the configurators to match your dell 2400.

7. pugmug

pugmug Banned

The person stated that they did go to Crucial's website and was told 2 gig's. Richie.

8. pugmug

pugmug Banned

67, you can try updating your bios to A05 as Dells A02 did address memory reporting but I do not think it will help you with this problem. Just goes to show that these so called memory configurators are not so great after all as Crucial sure screwed you up. Here is a link to your 2400 bios flash if you want to give it a try and good luck to you. http://support.dell.com/support/dow...8&typecnt=1&libid=1&releaseid=R70278&vercnt=4 ps. in the future go to the company that made the product to get your info and not some memory selling company or person.

9. scott0999

scott0999

exactly, theres something called CL ratings for memory also such as CL2.0, CL2.5 you need to make sure this spec matches your new memory also

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

But Puggy, what he did was turn around and buy any old thing on eBay, hardly the same as buying Crucial from a recommended Crucial model number....
    "I went to Crucial's website and it said it can support 2 GB of memory. So without thinking about it I bought 2 of these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...WN %3AIT&rd=1 (1GB PC 2700 DDR 333Mhz 184PIN 1 GB PC2700 333 Mhz) This is exactly the same as what I have in my computer right now just 256 MB"

11. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Are you saying Crucial is not wrong in their 2 gig statement about a Dell 2400 Richie? Have you been to Crucial's site to see for yourself that they screwed up?

12. pugmug

pugmug Banned

The 2400 will use at max two sticks of pc2700 non ECC, 512 MB ram period. Crucial does not know what they are speaking of when it comes to their configuator that you seem to push,Richie.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes indeed in this case they are wrong...although I am woindering if this model doesn't span a few different periods as there is a 2400C model and the pdf manual shows ddr and ddr 2 available...bit of a mystery.

14. pugmug

pugmug Banned

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice