1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Okay to load CPU 100% all the time?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FrankSinatra, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FrankSinatra

FrankSinatra Thread Starter

I have had my Q6600 for almost four years now. I now have tasks (compression, encoding) that require me to run the CPU at 100% for over 24 hours.

I know server CPUs do this regularly, but is it wise for me to be working my workstation that hard?

I had it over-clocked from 2.4GHz to 3GHz for three years without any problem, then I ran it at 2.92GHz for a few months. Since November, I'm running it at stock clock, since I really want to have longevity with this system.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As long as the temp stays under 60C or so, it should be OK. Thermal spec on that cpu is 71C max so 60C or less should not hurt it. If it is getting hotter than that, I would invest in some better cooling if you want to run it for extended periods.

3. FrankSinatra

FrankSinatra Thread Starter

Ok, thanks allot for the info. I recently replaced my motherboard, and in the process I reapplied a new coating of thermal paste. I'm amazed at what a difference that has made - I'm running at 37C right now, prior I was running at about 60C at full load.

I hate to sound paranoid, but let me just be certain - my 3.5 year old Core 2 Quad (now stock clocked) will be running at full blast constant for 1-2 days a week.

Again, thanks for the info.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Everything wears out eventually however as long as you make sure temps stay cool, it should be ok.

5. sickcars

sickcars

As the person above me has said. As long as your temps for your computer are at good safe levels you should be fine. I would just get a can of compressed air and blow out the cpu fan/heatsink all other fans, powersupply etc just to make sure its pretty clean & you should be good to go.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item I would look at is the pw supply. As long as it is a corsair, seasonic, pcpower&cooling type it is fine. If you have a low end pw supply, you will be stressing that as well.

7. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

The more air flow you get in the situation the better really. Having a good air flow through the case will significantly lower the chance of failure of pretty much all the components. Pay special attention to cooling the VRM's on the motherboard as if the motherboard is rated at running a 95w CPU and yours uses all the power the board can supply they can get rather toasty.

Jack-O-Bytes

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice