1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OL2000 - turn off rich text for a contact?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by pbcassidy, Oct 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pbcassidy

pbcassidy Thread Starter

Some contacts have somehow been coded to reply to them ONLY in Rich Text. I can only see this when I click on their name in a message received from this. I highlight the name, right click, and it shows to "reply to this receipient in rich format" and there is a check in a box there. I can remove the check, but is this stipulation also somewhere in the contact address book. I can find no where in contacts where you can specifically state that messages to this person should be in rich text. My options are set to plain text. The message coming in to me is not in rich text format. Any thoughts?

Pat Cassidy

2. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Howdy Cassidy!

I use Outlook Express and not Outlook - but maybe it be similar.

You are keying in to a received message. In OE in Tools - Options - Send there is a space to check REPLY TO SENDER USING THE FORMAT RECEIVED.

It is not paying attention to who the person is - address book and such - but just the fact that they sent you message in a certain format.

Outlook may have the same - take a look!

- Castleheart :cool:

3. Miz

Miz

Unless you specify "plain text only" in an individual's entry in your contacts, Outlook will send messages in the default format, which is what you have chosen in Tools>Options>Mail Format tab in the Message Format drop-down list.

In other words, if you have Rich Text selected there and you have not specified Plain Text in that contact's entry, all messages to that contact will be in Rich Text (or HTML, if you have that one selected as your default format).

4. pbcassidy

pbcassidy Thread Starter

Castleheart,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I see that outlook Express has the option you mention. I have that too, but this is not a listed option in Outlook. I've looked through every dropdown menu in Outlook.

For some reason the imported names are all coded to reply in Rich Text. As I stated, I think, in my note, in Tools, Option, Mail Format, I do have it set for plain text. Very odd. I know there has to be a place to change this.

Thanks for you reply.

PB Cassidy

5. pbcassidy

pbcassidy Thread Starter

Miz,

Thanks for your reply. I thought I indicated in my note that the default was set to "plain text" in Tools, Options, Mail Format. It is. I've double-checked that.

Somewhere these specific names have been coded to reply in "rich text", and with the software I'm using that integrates with Outlook, this is a no-no. I have to have it set for plain text.

This is really bugging me. Anyway...thanks for the suggestions.

Pat Cassidy

6. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Question:

If you receive a PLAIN TEXT message from someone who is NOT in your address book and you reply - what format is used?

- C

7. pbcassidy

pbcassidy Thread Starter

Castleheart,

My Outlook is set up to default to Plain Text. It does NOT default to the format used in the original note. So if you sent me an email in Rich Text, my reply back to you SHOULD be in plain text.

I think I'm on to the answser. I woke up in the night with this WOW thought. ;) I'll get back to you in a bit after I test my theory.

Pat Cassidy

8. pbcassidy

pbcassidy Thread Starter

Castleheart,

You would have to have Outlook to see this, but I finally found the answer. You open an address book and bring up the detail screen of an entry in the book. Highlight their email address, and then right click. Select Properties, and the box I mention in my original note appears. You uncheck the option to "always reply to this recipient in rich text fomat." and save and close. Wow.. Microsoft really can hide things. Dunno why they have this option, but I guess it was relevant. Thanks for your help though. I appreciated the suggestions.

Cassidy

9. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

(y) task accomplished !

OE is the exact opposite - you must check the contact to send in PLAIN TEXT ONLY - otherwise it goes in the format it is received - ( if you have that reply-as option checked )

It's a Bill Gates thang!

sounds like you're go to go though!

- C

edit:...ah... make that GOOD to go! :rolleyes:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/175068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice