1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Old 286 DOS machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by junkdiver, Feb 14, 2020 at 4:40 PM.

Advertisement
  1. junkdiver

junkdiver Thread Starter

Friend has an old DOS 286 Sony Vaio machine that is still active and is used for old accounting software. He is trying to get files off of the machine but they are too large for floppy drives. Is there a possibility that installing a USB card would work to get data onto a thumb drive?

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    I don't think there's any way to use USB on a DOS system. You may be able to remove the hdd and install in a different system and thereby access the data? Maybe use an external converted to connect to USB on a Windows system? Or you can see if you can find the good old "PKZIP" DOS utility and try to compress the files to fit on a floppy. (If I remember correctly - which is questionable due to old age - then pkzip did have an option to span disks

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A system of that age is only going to have ISA slots and I have never seen a usb card using ISA.
    I would pull the drive and either connect it to an older system [if it uses IDE] or if it is so old that you need an IO card, take it to a shop and have them pull the files off for you.

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
  5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well you learn something new everyday.....

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!