1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old Aptiva Wierd COnfig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whiteskin, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whiteskin

Whiteskin Thread Starter

I bought this old aptiva at a garage sale. It had probelms (98 Wouldnt boot) but i hought for 20 buck why not, and the monito alone would be worth at least 80 (really nice 7")

I get it home set it up and get to work. NOw i realize that i cant load windows cause it uses ... well take a look first

http://www.idsa.org/whatis/seewhat/idea97/winners/aptiva.htm

The console has everything in it. (floppy and cdrom) the tower is untarnished black. The conslole is connected by what i belive to be SCSI. I cant seem to find anything that wil run on it. Anyone have any ideas? tried 95, but wouldnt boot off of cdrom, and i'm not willing to make the floppies.

I tried BeOS, (froze after booting to desktop)
    Tried FreeBSD, but it wont run because of a conflict with the graphics card (ATI MAch64)

I havent been able to trie gentoo, becaue i cant find its floppies, and it wont boot of of cdrom.

Anyone have any ideas? (even a gentoo boot floppy?) I would rely be happy if i could get this machine going, becaue its quiet and powefull enough for word processing, which is all i need.

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin Thread Starter

3. MCP

MCP

whiteskin, you're link isn't working. I don't understand why you can't load window onto it. Is it because the CDROM isn't working?

::: EDIT :::
    According to that second link, these things were coming with win95 preinstalled. :confused:

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin Thread Starter

Its cause it uses a wierd interface as far as i can tell. it wont boot from cd, and i dont have any winbootdisks. Besides, i'd bequite glad to keep windows off of it.

____edit_____

BTW, i knew it would be a fixer upper, because when i booted it at the garage sale they had theier windows dir down to one very large file. o i thought i format and reinstall.. they said they had the disc, but gave me the one for their other computer (an old imb early cdrom) so that didnt work.

5. jakoval

jakoval

6. Whiteskin

Whiteskin Thread Starter

BTW, model number is 2159

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice