1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old B & W Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Tipacanoe, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tipacanoe

Tipacanoe Thread Starter

Cleaning out the basement the other day, we found an old sleeve of negatives from 1955. Took them to local photo shop. They want $ 17 per print to develop! Yikes!

Tried scanning on our home scanner. Results pretty faint. Does anyone have any suggestions for scanning old b & w negatives.

Thanks.

Tip

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

There are adaptors for scanning slides. Since there would be very little difference between B&W negatives and slides, I don't see why that wouldn't work. I think they work by shining the light from behind the slide, rather than from the front like a regular scanner.

You will have to reverse the B&W once they are scanned though.

3. Tipacanoe

Tipacanoe Thread Starter

Thanks, LH.

Yes, I have heard of same and since I also have boxes of old slides which we never look at maybe that's the solution.

I understand about reversing the neg.

Thanks again.

4. Delmonics

Delmonics

Scan your B/W photos then use a Picture editor to enhance. Learning how to use the Pic editor is worth it and creative ++ will clean up those old B/W of yours--Rick

5. slipe

slipe

Without a top mounted light you can’t get a good enough scan on a flatbed scanner to be able to enhance the image IMO. You really need a flatbed with a built-in light in the lid rather than an adapter – the adapters don’t work that well. Flatbeds with a light in the lid usually carry a “Photo” designation. The Epson 1670 Photo is selling for less than $90 delivered online and the Epson 2400 Photo for $130 delivered. The 1670 should give good 4 X 6 prints and the 2400 good 8 X 10. The software on a photo flatbed will take care of inversing the negative when you scan.

Those prices to print the negatives seem absurd. I would guess the negatives are in a format the photofinisher does not have templates for. I would try some other photofinishers to see if someone can’t give you a decent price.

Even if you buy an inexpensive photo flatbed you will likely have to make your own template unless the film is something standard like 35mm format. It isn’t hard to do with a straightedge, utility knife and some cardboard.

6. Tipacanoe

Tipacanoe Thread Starter

Thanks for your notes, Rick & slipe.

I ended up touring photo shops in nearby towns and after 3 more tries found one that does them for 80 cents each.

Still have all our old slides that I would like to convert though, so your tips are most helpful.

Thanks again,

Tip

:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice