1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old compaq freezing at BIOS

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Crypty, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crypty

Crypty Thread Starter

This computer had been working fine for a long time but my brother recently got at it. God knows what he did but we do know that it doesn't work now.
    You press power and it goes to the black screen with the word COMPAQ in big red letters across it, as normal but it will not move from that point. I tried using F8 or delete as usual to access the boot options or bios setup but nothing happens. Also tried F10 which brings up the message Entering SETUP... In white letters in the bottom left, but it doesnt actually enter setup. At least not in the 2 hours I let it sit for. Using a norton or system restore boot disk does noting.
    (this computer is running win ME if it matters)

My guess would be that the BIOS has somehow gotten corrupted or the TSOP that stores the bios is not functioning properly.

How do I go about flashing a new bios or is this computer shot?
    Or is it some other problem?

Thanks

2. dc57

dc57

Hi Crypty,
    this might be shot in the dark but, can you open up the case and check to make sure that your memory sticks and drive cables are secured properly. Sometimes if the memory is installed incorrectly it will cause to computer to stop at boot up.
    Don

3. Crypty

Crypty Thread Starter

checked the cable and ram stick. Even moved it to a different slot. No luck.

4. dc57

dc57

crypty,

Another thing you might want to try is disconnecting all the drives (Floppy, hard drive, cd-rom, etc) and hardware on your system except for the keyboard. Then see if you can boot and access the bios. this should bring up some kind of error message about missing drives and maybe allow you to access the bios. If you can get any farther, start reconnecting things one at a time to see if you can determine if it's related to a faulty drive or even a cable.

Don

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice