1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old Compaq not Working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Djas00, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Djas00

Djas00 Thread Starter

My cousin has a compaq computer from 1999. Don't know much about it except that it has 2 hard drives ( IBM 9GB and Quantom 5GB), it also has 64 MB of RAM. That is about all I know about it. It seems to have a problem when you try to turn it on. When you flip the power switch the computer turns on and you can hear it boot up but you cannot see it on the monitor. I've tried to hook several video cards to it but still nothing. Does anyone have an answer to this problem?

2. n2gun

n2gun

first thing is to check the cable from the monitor to make sure a pin did not get bent. Have seen this on a few occasions.

Also are you getting any beeps when booting?

Try to get as much info as you can and ket us know.

3. fastfingeredfool

fastfingeredfool

My old Compaq has had the same problem before also. Strange things seem to happen in there for no apparent reason. Just opening the case to see if something came loose and putting it back together has had good results (???). If it's like my Presario 7470, the video is on software (no card) which needs disabled if you're using a card. Do you get anything if trying to boot up in safe mode? Does the monitor work on a different computer?

4. Djas00

Djas00 Thread Starter

The monitor works and I cannot boot in safe mode because I can not see anything it is doing! I cannot see any problems in the computer.

5. n2gun

n2gun

do you see anything at all when it first starts booting. You should see the post page(First page) if not it may be a video card prolem. Also have you tried a boot disk?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    boot disks and safe mode don't apply here. You said your monitor works, did you try it on another system? Are you sure its booting up and not just powering up. If its booting it should beep at the end of the post, check your floppy, and boot from the harddrive. you should see the lights blink and here all the sounds. If not try a new power supply. If it does its likely the video but you say you tried that. is the old video onboard? As something to try. Clear the cmos(via jumpers), or try booting with only video, ram and cpu after reseating both the ram and video.

7. Djas00

Djas00 Thread Starter

I just realized the video cards I hooked into the computer do not work. I am going to try some more

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice