1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old computer cpu cooling fan problem???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ImnoGuru, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ImnoGuru

ImnoGuru Thread Starter

Hello Ive put a hard drive into an old computer for my son, but when I boot it up it comes up with "cpu cooling fan malfunction" press any key. then it goes to "verifying dmi pool data".

I reset the bios to boot the cd first so I can reinstall win98 se ( I think thats what the drive has as an O/S on it) but it comes up with cd rom: Failure.
    Can some one guide me as to what may be wrong or what I might need to do to get it to boot up please

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Yeah, your cooling fan ontop of the cpu isn't connected correctly or isn't cooling correctly.

3. ~Candy~

4. ImnoGuru

ImnoGuru Thread Starter

Thanks AcaCandy for replying. I looked at that when I was browsing earlier but this fan has always been the same and nothing else has changed inside, except the hard drive.
    The computer has always been reliable to date.
    It is an oldy though so potentially it could have something fail.
    The connection seems correct, it has two wires on it only.
    Maybe I should start by giving it a good clean/vacuum out the dust and check the paste.

The computer did come up with cd fail though, and as far as I know it was a good cd Player.
    I reset the bios to boot from cd first so I can load a cd, to reinstall the O/S.

5. ~Candy~

Does the bios show cpu temperature? Or fan speed?

6. ImnoGuru

ImnoGuru Thread Starter

No it is a really old computer. no fan speed (and I doubt if it would be a variable speed fan type)
    I'll check the bios to see if it has an alarm setting, and if it has I'll set it to off.
    I could always change the fan (I've got a few in a box of bits) probably a few chips in there as well.

7. ~Candy~

I think I'd definitely replace the fan, turning the alarm off usually isn't a wise idea as it's going off for a reason.

8. mrss

mrss Guest

By the way, after you get the fan resolved, you won't be able to boot off a Windows 98 or 98SE Install CD. At least, I cannot boot off mine. It's always taken me a DOS floppy and it has to load the CD ROM drivers.

9. ~Candy~

Not sure why you can't boot off a 98 install cd.

Perhaps your copy is OEM and not bootable? Or your bios isn't set to boot from the cdrom first? Or you aren't loading the proper drivers for the cdrom.

10. ~Candy~

Why do you keep posting, then deleting your posts? :confused:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice