Old computer decides not to network any more

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mickmca

I have a Pentium 120 (64 Megs of RAM, NT 4.0 SP4) that acted as a storage point for a local network until it blew its brains out and the OS needed to be reinstalled. When I rebuilt it, I upgraded to SP6a. Now it won't run the Server services because "Not enough server storage available." I tracked down the problem, which is normally solved by adding an IRPStackSize setting to the registry. Did that, and started with the minimum setting (4) and worked my way up to the maximum (12, I think). No setting eliminated the problem.

The old network consisted of two machines; the new has four. The other machines can see each other, and this machine can see them. So I can get files from the others, but I can't send them to it.

Any ideas? I suspect SP6a is the culprit, and I'm going to "back out" to SP5. The next option is rebuilding the OS again....

Thanks,
Mick

you have installed the network device after the implementation of sp6a
you have to reinstall sp6a and the problem will be solved

mickmca

You're right, I did. But that wasn't the problem.

It turns out that the 3Com diagnostics will report that the NIC and the Network are just fine, even if you are using the wrong I/O address. I removed and reinstalled the drivers, they attached themselves to a different I/O address, and everything works fine. Except the diagnostics, which now complains because my working NIC is at the "wrong" I/O address.

Go figure....

M

mickmca

Feeling a bit dim. I thought your comment was in regard to a different problem, a "blind" network machine rather than the server storage issue.

In that case, I did back the system down to SP5 and that fixed the problem. I suspect that your suggestion also would have worked, because I also forgot to reinstall SP6a after binding the card on this one.

In any case, thanks for the reminder.

Mick

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online