1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old computer fails to start Linux from disc.

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by mapexmbirch, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mapexmbirch

mapexmbirch Thread Starter

I don't know whether to put this in 'earlier versions of Windows' or here but I guess it is most relevant here.

I got puppy on a disc and I wanted to put it on my old Windows 98 computer so I put the disc in and made sure it booted from the CDROM first which it did. But when it boots up it says booting from CDROM: Failure. Then goes straight to the C drive.
    I erased the C drive now it has nothing to load from there so it just sits with the C:/ thing. (I don't know what you call it. DOS?)

Is Linux compatible with 12 year old computers?
    The disc is ok I just tested it with my laptop it started up fine.

I think this is a problem with my computer more than a problem with Linux.

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no such thing as an operating system amd "Linux". Linux is just a kernel. Thre are 100's of operating systems based on that kernel. You will need to specifiy which one.

But, no, most modern Linux-based operating systems, being compiled on i686 processors, will not run on old machines. They need the newest hardware to run like all up-to-date OS's. If you want to run an OS on an old computer, it needs to be an old OS.

3. mapexmbirch

Can you suggest where to get a old version of linux? I have had a look around and most articles consider old as over 6 years.
    Anything for a 12 year old?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have Puppy Linux (5.1.1 and 5.2.8) installed and running on a 11 1/2 year old Dell laptop. Neither is perfect, but 5.1.1 is better on this machine.

How much memory do you have? You might need at least 128 MB to boot the Puppy Live CD.

Some info on Linux Distributions.

5. mapexmbirch

192Mb.
    I have the 5.28 puppy.
    Where can I get 5.1.1?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Appears to be a link for 5.1.1 under "Details" here.

The boot problem may be the CD drive, the CD, or the disk and drive not playing nice together.

Your computer may like one of the older Puppies (4.whatever or 3.whatever) better. Can be found here. When I had a different equally old laptop with 128 MB RAM I tried various 4.? updates as they became available. Some worked nicely, while others seemed to be completely different animals. Pretty hit and miss, so I can't predict which, if any, may go well with your computer.

7. mapexmbirch

Thanks
    I just tried 5.1.1 it didn't work, I think you're right my CDs are not agreeing with the CD drive.
    I will try 3. and 4. tomorrow.

8. monckywrench

monckywrench

Burn at SLOWEST speed for best burn.

Linux installs are portable so you can plug the drive into a more modern PC, install, then return the drive to the old PC.

9. mapexmbirch

Thanks but I found out what the problem was.
    when the computer was first bought it only had a CD drive then a few years latter the computer shop that it was bought from put a DVD drive in there as well as the CD drive. I was to young to remember why.
    I assumed that the CD drive was the one called CDROM in the bios but it was the DVD drive. So when it booted up it was looking in the dvd drive for as disc then finding no disc and going to the C drive.

Anyway after finding that the dvd was the CDROM I got it into Puppy linux but it wouldn't let me install it and loads of computer language came up on the screen. I tried a few different things but I decided it was not worth the hassle.

Doesn't matter now, I have bought AMD bundle, CPU, motherboard and RAM for £78. I am going to use the same case and the dvd drive. I have a feeling the dvd drive won't work but I have a external disc drive for my netbook that I can use for it.
    thanks

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice