1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

old computer out of storage; proper bios settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chedderslam, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chedderslam

chedderslam Thread Starter

I have just pulled my old computer out of storage after several years. After all that time, the bios has reset and eveything is set to "auto". As this will be my only computer until I can afford a new one, I would like to be sure I am gettting all the performance out of it I can.​

Right now the processor is running at 1.3 mhz. I'm not sure what it has in there, but I think it is faster than that. I wouldn't mind overclocking slightly as well.​

The memory is running at 133, though the spid table in cpu-z shows that all three modules can go to 200mhz... Would that be the best speed to run the memory at?​

It has been a really long time since I have overclocked a machine so I don't remember all the settings or ratios and what not. I would like to get the machine running at its proper speed and go from there.​

Any help you guys can offer will be very much appreciated.​

I have attached the output of cpu-z as a text file; let me know if I need to post any more information.​

Thank you!​

Attached Files:

2. Flags

Flags

Well, I'll take a stab at it.
    I had an Athlon XP 2500+ CPU-Barton core, in one of my computers. It ran at 1.83 GHz.
    I swapped it out with an Athlon XP 2800+ Barton and it runs at 2.08 GHz.

I THINK the FSB is set at 166mg, so I suggest you up the FSB to the next (133) and see what happens. If no problems, bump it up to 166.

Of Course, you could take off the HS/Fan and clean off the CPU and read what it says.

3. chedderslam

I would like to give it a try and bump up the bus speed, but I am a little confused.

Right now cpu-z shows the bus speed at 100 and rated fsb at 200. I'm not sure what the difference is. Does the rated fsb just mean what some piece of equipment is rated to go up to, and not at what it is actually running at?

Also the memory clock says it is 133.

I thought the processor speed was the multiplier times the bus, so 13 x 100. Where is the 133 coming in? I thought the bus speed determines the processor and memory speeds.

Thanks for any help.

4. Flags

Flags

There are experts on this problem on this forum. I would hope that one of them could chime in on your dilema.

All I know is that when I set up my 2500+ I got 1.3 GHz Processor speed with the FSB set at 100. I asked on this forum and was told to up the FSB to 166 and see what happens.
    When I did that the CPU speed increased to l.83 GHz, which is what the 2500+ is rated at.

I ran the 2500+ for about 4 years with no problem whatsoever.

If you have a copy of Everest, you could run it and it will tell you what processor you have installed. Once you know that we can figure out what speed to set the fsb to.

Or, again, you could remove the hs/fan and look at the CPU for this info.

5. chedderslam

I finally pulled the motherbard and looked at the chip. It is a AMD Athlon 3000+, AXDA3000DKV4D. I looked it up and it is rated to go to 2167 MHz with a 333 bus speed and a clock multiplier of 13. So now I have those settings, but I am still not sure about the memory... The spid of cpu-z says the memory is rated to 200mhz. So is the processor slowed to a 200mhz bus because of the memory, and can I go to a higher multiplier because of that, or is the bus speed and the memory speed seperate?

Thanks!

6. Flags

Flags

The memory is PC3200 which is actually 400mhz. This is the fastest DDR memory speed available.
    I would set the FSB at 166 and see if you reach 2167 MHz processor speed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice