1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

old computer problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by laspari, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laspari

laspari Thread Starter

Hello, I am a new member of the forum and I have a problem with my old Dell. I bought it in 95 and it has a lot of picture files and photo files and a few music files that I would like to retrieve. The problem is it only has a 3.5 floppy disk drive so putting the files on a disk is not an option. It has two usb ports but I can't get it to recognize my usb drive as anything. I tried to install it as new hardware but that didn't work. I don't think the system knows it has two usb ports either. Is there a way to get this computer to save stuff to a usb drive?
    thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. SDFOX 7

SDFOX 7 Banned

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties.

What's the Windows version and version number listed there?

These are the different versions of Windows 95 that were released:

Windows 95 retail OEM
    7/11/95

Windows 95 retail SP1
    4.00.950A
    7/11/95-12/31/95

OEM Service Release 2
    4.00.1111 (4.00.950B)
    8/24/96

OEM Service Release 2.1
    4.03.1212-4.03.1214 (4.00.950B)
    8/24/96-8/27/97

OEM Service Release 2.5
    4.03.1214 (4.00.950C)
    8/24/96-11/18/97

-------------------------------------------------------------

5. laspari

laspari Thread Starter

thanks for the advice. It almost worked. The link you sent said it had to be version b or later. I thought it must be later since I bought the computer in 97. However the set up disk didn't have any usb drivers. The drivers I got from your link got my computer to realize it had a usb port and even sense that my usb drive was there and it ran the wizard. Unfortunately when the wizard was done and I tried to use the pny drive, It gave me an error #15 asking for USBIMW95.sys on windows 9x. I couldn't figure out how to get that or find it. I guess my version of w95 is too old after all.

6. SDFOX 7

SDFOX 7 Banned

You need to install the USB Storage Driver Pack for Windows 95.

After you install this you should have support for USB Floppy Disk Drives, USB Hard Disk Drives, and USB Flash Drives.

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/USBSTR95.EXE

7. SDFOX 7

SDFOX 7 Banned

You also need to keep in mind that Windows 95 is 16 years old, and newer products are not going to work with it by default.

However, there is an entire Microsoft Forum Network dedicated to keeping Windows 95 and 98 relevant over a decade later, with instructions on running modern programs on these legacy MS-DOS based system.

Windows 9x Member Projects - MSFN

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    laspari:

This is something to keep in mind when buying hardware or software or peripherals for a computer. Confirm the system requirements for it. In most cases, Windows 2000 and Windows XP are the oldest operating systems supported.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice