1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

old computer,win 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by wildexpressions, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wildexpressions

wildexpressions Thread Starter

I have a p1 120mhz with 48 ram,that had win 95 on it.
    I used a win 98 start up disc and reformatted hdd.
    tried to install win 98,everything went perfect up until the end when it was detecting hardware,when it rebooted for the last time,the win 98 logo screen came up and about half way through it just froze up.I had to turn the computer off at the tower,so then it would only let me boot into safe mode.
    it showes no conflicts in device manager(but it wouldnt in safe mode anyway)
    It will not boot up normally,only in safe mode.
    I tried to reinstall win 98 over top and everything went the same,then lock up on the win 98 logo screen.
    got mad,reformatted again,and put win 95 back in and now is perfect.
    I think its a hardware compatibility problem with win 98,but i am not sure how to find out which device is causing the lock ups.
    Any suggestions would be great
    keep up the good work all,you guys have saved my but a few times!!
    Tony

2. Chum

Chum

The problem is most likely low memory! Win 98 "says 32 is sufficient" ...but 64 or more would be better!

3. wildexpressions

I dont know if its low memory,it has 48 ram,and i know of a few computers that only have 32 and can run win 98.
    like i said it gets to where it almost is done booting up on the win 98 logo screen and locks up.

4. deanas

deanas

Did you try the step by step confirmation boot
    method? Press ctrl while booting and choose this
    and maybe this will show which item that is
    loading is causing the lockup.

5. markshark09

markshark09

i have 32 mb ram and win98 runs fine

6. ETS

ETS

Could be a legacy device, i.e. non plug n play, that's causing the problem. You could try removing such devices, if any, then try again.
    Also when you ran setup, did you reboot after it failed and then attempt to run setup again. The setup program will keep track of where it's at when failure occurs and the next time you run it, it will try to skip the device that caused the problem.
    Running step by step confirmation as suggested by deanas is also good.
    Another option from that same startup menu is the bootlog option. It will create a hidden file in your root directory called Bootlog.txt that should also give you a clue as to where the problem is.

7. wildexpressions

Yes after it locked up,i had to cold restart,then it would only let me boot into safe mode.
    I tried step by step config,but i really dont know what i am doing or should be looking for. Yes i did try to install windows over top by changing the boot sequence to cd and booting off the win 98 disc,and it did the exact same thing,right when it was almost done and booting up for the final time it locked up on the win 98 splash screen,thats why i think its hardware because isnt that when those devices are loaded in.
    Thanks

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Tony,

You'll have more hair left when you're finished if you'll just pull out all the add-in cards now (except for video), get windows installed and add one at a time....

9. deanas

deanas

May I suggest the first item you add is your
    sound card. I've been informed this is usually
    a culprit in this kind of trouble and other hard-
    ware is more open to different assignments.

10. wildexpressions

Thanks every one,Thats exactly what i did,i removed the modem and sound card(on the mother board video)
    and it did turn out to be my sound card,but why in the heck would it work with win 95 and not 98,I tried to find an updated driver for it but could not,it is a crystal cs4231a-kl
    i searched on driver guide.com and the only files i found were just config files,none had any install or setup files in them.
    The card is probably close to 7 years old

11. ETS

ETS

The reason your sound card works with 95 and not 98 is because 95 installation disk includes drivers that work with that card, whereas support for it was discontinued with 98. It's part of Microsoft's goal to wean us away from the old 16 bit technology.
    With Win95 they were more concerned about backward compatibility since non plug & play hardware was still the norm.

Next time your Windows installation fails, you should reboot with the Win98 startup disk allowing cdrom support and then rerun setup from the beginning off the CD. Don't try to reboot into the failed installation. Hope this is helpful.

p.s. When you get ready to install the sound card (after installing Win98) you might be able to borrow and use the driver from the Win95 CD to run your sound card. It may work with 98. Don't know for sure.

12. deanas

deanas

It's not that it won't neccessarily work in
    win98, it's more of a question of system
    resources. There was a conflict when it was installed
    with another hardware item.

13. ETS

ETS

You're right of course deanas. Thanks for catching that. I was typing in the present and thinking in the future.
    It's most likely a resource conflict from a legacy device (the sound card) that Win98 isn't handling well. But once everything is up and running the sound card still might not work unless you can find the right driver for it. That driver is on the 95 disk and may not be included with 98.

14. deanas

deanas

I meant no disrespect. I was not responding to
    your post. I saw you had responded while I was
    typing and should have clarified this. sorry

15. ETS

ETS

No problem. Though your post wasn't in response to mine, it still made me stop and think... which is good. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice