1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old Computer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Danboy, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

A guy I ride to work with was given a computer by his grandparents. Ran Belarc and found out it has a 100 MHZ processor with 32 MG of Ram. It is running Windows 98SE. He said the computer is running real slow and I am getting ready to tell him about de-frag, ad-aware, spybot, deleting cookies. Any more ideas would be welcome. I know he is planing on a new computer in the near future.

Thanks, Danboy :)

2. rugrat

rugrat

Sounds like you are giving him the correct advice to begin with, He may also want to run HiJack this and post the results in case of other issues. Running Stinger is also a good idea if there is no up to date virus scanner on the system. Links are here,
    http://forums.techguy.org/t110854.html

If he wants to increase performance, he may want to consider 128MB of ram and a newer video card. Those would be the best bang for the buck.

SeeYa

3. SacsTC

SacsTC

100 MHZ processor with 32 MG of Ram. It is running Windows 98SE.

This is going to seem extremely slow to anyone using a computer for the last 7 years. Even in the last 5 years most of us are used to at least 5-700 Mhz comps.

4. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Yes, I know. I told him he might have the first computer ever built. LOL Thanks for the advice, hope he doesn't wait to long for that new computer.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Danboy:

I have an article in my website which deals with older computers that you might want to read.

With a 100 MHz processor, even if you added another 32 MB of RAM, the overall performance is still going to be very slow.

My 7-year old HP 8160 desktop has a 233 MHz processor and 128 MB of RAM and runs Windows 98SE and Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1. Even with all other programs closed(except the antivirus program), it's not anywhere near as fast as my HP N5495 laptop with a 1.06 GHz processor and 512 MB of RAM.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice