1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old Cpq laptop battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WXCole, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WXCole

WXCole Thread Starter

I have an old Compaq Presario model 1456vqlin that I never use on battery power, but it dies quickly when plugged into AC after the battery light flickers. I assume the battery is dead but I don't need it...any alternatives to buying a new battery? Also, the batteries do not seem to be readily available when I do a Google search for them, just some junk on Ebay.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Walt

2. ClubMan

ClubMan

Is the AC power not normally independent from the battery with most or all laptops - i.e. you should be able to run it off AC power even if the battery is removed? If so then perhaps there is some other problem (e.g. the AC power block, the power connectors on the laptop etc.)?

3. WXCole

WXCole Thread Starter

I ttried running it without the battery, just the AC and that didn't help.
    I'll try to make sure itisn't the wire/AC adaptor if I can.
    Thanks.

4. WXCole

WXCole Thread Starter

After working on this for a while, It seems to be a dead end. On 'poor' advice from Cpq tech online support, I replaced the CMOS battery on the system board. That didn't help, so replaced the big battery 14 volt. That didn't help and then I noticed that the connection to the AC adaptor/charger was wobbly so I went to Circuit City and the tech there said "buy a new laptop", because this wasn't taking a charge and the repairs would run $400-$500 if I could get someone to fix it.
    Best Buy said they would charge $25- $50 non-refundable just to give me an estimate, and since it was 6-6 years old I should trash it. Seems odd to me.

Now wondering what to do and wondering what brand to buy and where to buy it!
    Thanks for you help. I hope this might help someone else in my situation.

Walt

5. winbob

winbob

"...and then I noticed that the connection to the AC adaptor/charger was wobbly..."

If you mean where it plugs into the PC itself, then you probably have cracked the socket, or broken the solder joint off the motherboard, or both.

This is not necessarily terminal, but does require major disassembly and some surgery. But at this point what have you got to lose, and look at the experience you stand to gain. I have had this problem on an HP laptop b4 and repaired it with solder and epoxy. The disassembly experience was invaluable.

Do some online Googling and you may find a service manual that shows you the disassembly steps! (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/416345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice