1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old Cpu....emergency

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bobbie Jo, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bobbie Jo

Bobbie Jo Thread Starter

CPU SPECIFICATIONS LIST:

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital-WDC AC313000 (1999)

MOTHER BOARD: Abit BE6 (1998)
    -Award Modular BIOS v4.51
    -Pentium III SL 373 (mmx)
    -Chip Set Intel R 440BX

CD ROM: Kenwood Multi Beam 42x TrueX (1999)

CD ROM: Liteon 52x (ltn 526)

NOTES: BIOS was flashed in Aug. 03 (HPT 366 BIOS v1.25)

PROBLEM: I had to REFORMAT & REPARTITION my hard drive. Prior to doing so, both CD ROM's worked. After reformat, I started my pc with the WIN98 bootdisk and chose: START WITH CD ROM SUPPORT, I get 2 error messages...

NO DRIVES FOUND-ABORTING INSTALLATION

DEVICE DRIVER NOT FOUND: 'MSCD001'
    NO VALID CDROM DEVICE DRIVERS SELECTED

I have tried several bootdisk ex: win95/winME and I get same error everytime. I am not sure if my cdrom came with an installation diskette...if so, I can not find it. I downloaded what I think is the correct driver, executed the install file and it says INSTALL SUCCESSFULL. When running DIR on Hard Drive (c) I can see the files from the driver diskette I created but, my cdrom still fails.

In my original BIOS, my cdroms & hard drive are not detected. In the BIOS screen from the flash...they are all detected (does this make sense?)

Let me try to explain that again: When I boot my pc...I have the option to hit DEL to enter my BIOS, of course if I choose not to enter BIOS my cpu continues to load from bootdisk. After loading from bootdisk I see another screen called HPT 366 BIOS V.1.25 (never saw this until I flashed my BIOS) which shows my hard drive and my cdrom drives.

One more thing....both CDROMS are getting power (both lite up)

I am very stumped on why I can't get my CD ROM drivers to load...any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Check to see if you have more then one set of IDE connectors, it sounds like you may have a RAID controller or an "enhanced" IDE controller on your motherboard. There should be the standard 2 and possible 2 more. If thats the case, move then CD-ROM's to the other set of IDE connectors and give that a try.

3. Bobbie Jo

Bobbie Jo Thread Starter

Thank You, I will check and post back ASAP.

4. Bobbie Jo

Bobbie Jo Thread Starter

I looked in my mother board manual (faster that way).

MULTI I/O FUNCTIONS:
    2x Channels of Bus Master IDE Ports supporting up to four Ultra DMA 33/66 devices.
    2x " same as above" Ultra DMA 33 Devices

Does this help?

5. SacsTC

SacsTC

IDE 1 & 2 are used for cd-rom devices on that mobo
    IDE 3 & 4 are used for HD

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice