1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old Dell Latitude WILL NOT boot from ANY CD!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robot85, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robot85

robot85 Thread Starter

I copied this directly from my question on Yahoo Answers because I did not yet get an answer.

-----

We have an OLD Dell Latitude laptop that we got from someone a long time ago, and it is very slow. It has XP Pro on it, but it is way too slow for actually using. I installed Xubuntu via Wubi, and that worked great. So I decided I would try to partition the HD and put Xubuntu on permanently, and probably remove Windows. I uninstalled Xubuntu, but it still shows up on the boot menu (even though it doesn't work).

ANYWAYS, I have a few various boot CDs; including Xubuntu 9.10, UBCD 5, and the Windows disc that came with the laptop. The laptop has no CD Drive on it, so it uses an external one with some weird cable (Not USB).

The problem is that NO boot cd will boot on that laptop. They all work on any other computer, but this thing refuses to boot any cd. It sits at the Dell screen when it finds that there's a boot cd, and it sits there for 5 minutes, and does one of two things:

1. It stops trying and boots to Windows.

2. It makes a horrendously loud BEEEEEP and says something along the lines of "Boot incomplete, press F(something) to resume (in which pressing that takes you to Windows), or F(something) to go to Setup (BIOS).

Now, I HAVE configured the BIOS crap boot order. So in theory it SHOULD boot from CDs.

Instead it tries to, but then it seems like it gives up and just boots to Windows.

The specs (that I can tell) of the laptop are:

Pentium III Processor
    256MB of RAM
    ~20GB Hard Drive
    12 (ish) inch monitor
    1 (and only one) USB 1.1 port (not 2.0)
    And I don't know anything about the graphics.

I really need help with this. I need to get it to boot from CDs so I can fix the darn piece of crap. It USED to boot from its Windows CD. But no longer.

Please help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/943956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice