1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

old dell lattitude cpi will recognize internet thru 3com ethernet plug in when

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jrx10, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

connected directely to the router/FW (the green light on the "3comm ethernet plug in" will come one and the connection is visable on the bottom right). the router/FW only has one ethernet and one usb connection. I run a small d-link DSS5+ switch hooked to the only router ethernet connection. all the other computers connected to the switch will recognize the internet connection thru the switch but when the dell is plugged directly into the switch instead of directly into the router's ethernet connection, the green light on the 3com laptop ethernet plug-in is off and the icon shows that the ethernet connection is unplugged. the light for the port on the DSS5+ switch shows a 10/100 connection but blinks slowly. I have tried all ports on the switch for the dell connection. all the ethernet DSS5+ ports work with the towers connected but not with the laptop's ethernet connection. any ideas? (running windows 2000 pro on the laptop) thx

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

What's the make and model of the router? All the other computers, how many do you run? Have you snured on the router that there are enough DHCP leases to send out? Also have you checked your PC to ensure the IP information isn't for some reason hardcoded and may be interfering with the DHCP pool for the other computers? You may want to post an IPCONFIG /ALL on these computers as well.

3. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

d-link says that their experience has been that on the dell running windows 2000 that the 3com ethernet card needs to be "locked" in either the 10k or 100k mode by going into the lan ethernet card properties then "advanced" and there locking the speed to either 10k or 100k. however, in windows 2000 pro there is not and "advanced" tab under the network card (3-com) properties and they can't figure out how I would "lock" the speed of the 3com card on the dell. anyone know how to lock the speed of the lan connection under windows 2K pro? btw, under the 3com ethernet card properties are only 3 tabs, "general" "driver" and "resources" there is no "advanced" tab in the 2nd position. is this windows 2k missing some kind of installed component? thx

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that whether there is an 'advanced' tab for an ethernet adapter depends on the adapter and/or its driver, not on the OS. It may be that the adapter is only 10mbps or 100mbps. Have you checked the Dell site for that computer's components, or the 3Com support ( http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/ethernet.htm ) for more information on the adapter?

What is/are the router's LAN port speed(s)?

5. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

the plug-in 3com router says 10/100 on it, and that's why d-link said to go into "advanced" under properties (which they made sound like it was just part of the normal windows 2000 OS----I run xp pro on one computer and 98se on the other) ---- and lock the speed at either 10 or 100. I'll also check the dell site. thx

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In "plug-in 3com router" you meant card, not router, right?

I don't know enough to really help, but maybe some of my questions or musings will nudge somebody else towards the answer.

Is this a PC (or Notebook or PCMCIA) card? If so, I wonder if the "advanced" tab is also a function of the PCMCIA slot. And if it is, an "old" laptop may not have anticipated the need.

I assume that you have used a known good cable with this laptop--maybe the same one that you used directly to the router.

You've said that the switch's ports are 10/100. How about the router's port?

7. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

yes 3com plug in notebook lan/modem card
    pcmcia dell notebook card.
    yes, the ports on the d-link switch test good with the other towers, and the network cable hooked to the dell LT works fine when unplugged from the switch (which works with the 2 other towers) and is plugged directly into the router/firewall's one ethernet port (effectively bypassing the switch). contacted d-link (excellent customer service) and they said to go into the advanced tab under network card properties and lock the speed at either 10 or 100.---however there is no "advanced tab under the network card properties (running windows 2000 on this LT). contacted dell (also excellent customer service) and they said to download the latest drivers (didn't work) and possibly--"network magic"--???) . I went over to the 3com site and seached for updated drivers and found this driver under their pcmcia card that I have--- fem56bn2.exe http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result.jsp?selected=5&sort=effdt&sku=3CCFEM556B&order=desc -----which says This
    driver diskette may help those customers that are having difficulties attaching
    to a 10/100 Hub or a switch forced to 10Mb.---but the download link leads to nowhere. e-mailed 3com to try and get the link working, and they told me to more-or-less "piss off" that this card had been D/Ced, tough luck. (I'll never buy another 3com product if I can avoid it). still the dell notebook/3com pcmcia card connects fine when plugged directly into the router/firewall's (10mbps) only ethernet plug, but when plugged into the d-link switch (which is plugged into the router/firewall) the dell LT's 3com card light is off, and the dell shows that the ethernet connection is not active.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like you have your not-at-all-satisfactory answer. Apparently with the current driver you can connect to a 10Mbps port, but not to (the switch's) 10/100. You need that updated driver whose link has disappeared.

WAIT! Somebody must have listened to you. I just downloaded fem56bn2.exe from the site you provided.

9. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

that's strange, because after reading your post, I went back over to 3comm and clicked on the link and got this[​IMG] also took the url off the link --right click, properties---and plugged it in the address bar and got the same thing---can't connect. (btw, this is on another computer that is running thru the switch). is this the same address you got the link to work from? thx also, the ftp://ftp is what shows up when I get properties from the link. (double checked this to make sure it wasn't http)

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's the address. I can still access it.

I think you're having browser problems. I'm using Netscape 8.1. If you're using Microsoft's crap, and don't want the bloated Netscape, try Firefox: www.getfirefox.com or www.mozilla.com

11. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

[​IMG] nah, the browser is ok, firefox does the same thing. I think 3com got pissed when I sent them back an e-mail saying they were jerks, and I was going to forward their response to dell.

12. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Well I have to concur that I too can DL these drivers....

I must say I think the reason you only show 3 tabs in your device instead of advanced options will probably be the difference between the MS supplied drivers and the mfgrs drivers.

I have a ton of times where people install something and XP finds it right off but the MS drivers it loads are lacking in functions of the card. Only loading the entire set of drivers makes everything appear.

I would try it from another source (I.E. work, school, library, friends house) save it to a USB drive or CD and then install at home. If that doesn't work let us know I can host it on my ftp if needed to get you up and running.

As a side note are you having problems with other sites? do you run with a firewall enabled? if so I would try doing this with it turned off and see if it works.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I just downloaded it with Firefox on my old laptop. On the Advanced tab of Internet Options there are two references to 'ftp.' Both are checked on my system; doubt they would be causing you the problem, but you might check.

Seems to me that StumpedTechy is right on with all his observations and advice above.

14. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

my thoughts exactly. done, I have the disk with the 3---3com drivers. my question is----should I install all 3 drivers, or just the 1st one in the set that says it should solve my problem? I think I'm going to install the 1st driver in the set and see if it solves the switch problem. thx for all your help. I'll let you know if this driver gets the LT up and running thru the switch.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice