old DOS program help please

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kimmer

A client has an old old DOS program called Intac (version 5) which they have kept running for historical purposes on a standalone Win98 pc for several years.

The hard drive became severely unstable, so they had me put a different hard drive in and install Win98 on that. Then the folder containing the Intac program ("Intac5"), was copied over to this hard drive from a CD.

Intac requires share to be loaded, with /L:500 /F:10240 as switches. It also requires FILES=125.

When I start the program from DOS or from within Win98, it tells me "INVALID MULTI-ACCESS".

I have no usable 'installation' disk, and the only troubleshooting in the 'manual' they have refers to the SHARE and FILES. I also cannot get to the config.sys or autoexec.bat of the damaged hard drive this used to run on.

Any ideas?

This is my config.sys for the W98SE system:

device=C:\windows\himem.sys
devicehigh=c:\windows\emm386.exe /noems
device=C:\windows\setver.exe
devicehigh=c:\windows\command\ansi.sys
devicehigh=h:\oakcdrom.sys /D:001
dos=high,umb
buffershigh=40
fileshigh=255
stacks=16,512
fcbshigh=4,0
break=on
install C:\DOS622\share.exe /l:1000 /f:7100
shell=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /e:1024 /p

I either use the share in there or I use this line in the autoexec.bat:

LH /L:1,18944 c:\dos622\share.exe /l:500 /f:7100

/f and /l of course to your taste.
I need share for a 20-year old b-tree data base, written in C.
it might be that you have to set an environment variable to the program in the autoexec.bat (like: set intac=c:\intac), but that would normally be mentioned in the handbook.
Maybe you can do something with this.

"The hard drive became severely unstable, so they had me put a different hard drive in and install Win98 on that. Then the folder containing the Intac program ("Intac5"), was copied over to this hard drive from a CD. "

Does the old hard disk still exist? If so, can you image the whole disk and then load that complete image to the new drive?

Would this be the company that made the software?

http://www.intacinternational.com/

You might try asking them for a copy if so. If it only exists on floppies, image them with Winimage and burn them to CD before doing anything else with them.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online