1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old File Dates Change to TODAY!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jjb1776, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jjb1776

jjb1776 Thread Starter

I have Vista Business. Just installed it at work yesterday. Problem:

When I ended the day, I connected my portable hard drive and began Goodsync two-way as I always do. I checked the files to be added to my portable and there were a whole bunch (esp .eml's) changed to the current date (yesterday and today) on my Vista computer. On the right (portable) side, the dates were older, as they should be.

Aaargh. What gives? I LOVED Vista for 24 hours. Fixes?

I should have got a Mac. I knew, I just knew XP was the end of the line. Bill Gates is laughing all the way to Davos with Melinda preaching the evils of unrestrained capitalism. What suckers we are.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you using access dates or creation dates? Did you open the email program and access the files?

3. jjb1776

jjb1776 Thread Starter

I have no idea what that means. The date showing as "date modified" is the current date but I did NOT open all those files.

Yes, I opened a SINGLE old .eml file after searching with Windows Desktop Search on Vista. Again, that shouldn't change a bunch of files.

My first two days with Vista I ran

Ccleaner: manual and set for startup. Also registry clean after installs and uninstalls.

Goodsync (when I discovered the problem at the end of the day)

Windows Defrag ran on its weekly schedule.

Auslogics defrag: I ran to see how well Windows defrag, which has no statistics or graph, did -- there were still thousands of fragmented files.

It couldn't be Shadow Copies -- that's only for System Files (as in System Restore?)??

4. jjb1776

jjb1776 Thread Starter

VISTA BUSINESS SP1:

OK, I found out the problem and I don't think there is a fix??

Whenever I hover or (highlight) a eml file, or even open a folder with eml files (Outlook Express files), they all turn to the current date and time. ALWAYS! I change it back to original date modified from my backup but it doesn't matter -- the Vista OS changes them back to the current time. Is there a GHOST IN THE MACHINE??

Someone else had this problem:

The only solution (?) I can think of is to zip all my old eml files on my stable XP computer. Or is there a fix? Can MS work on this? (Stop laughing).

PS: The modified date changes. Here's the other weird thing (I'll post a new thread): When I copied all my files to my new Vista computer the "Date Created" was the date I copied (April 14), NOT the original date created. Huh? The Date Modified is older than the Date Created. How can that be?

If Vista can't handle even file dates, I'm really worried about what it will do to my valuable data.

5. jjb1776

jjb1776 Thread Starter

Same thing happened on another Vista computer so it is a bug.

Here's the fix:

Diagnosis: Windows Mail in Vista has a bug -- it changes every .eml file to current time and date.

Solution: I changed the file type association so that Windows Mail is no longer the default for .EML files. If I need to open them, I right-click, select "Edit" -- and open in Word.

I also made MS Outlook the default email program. I never use Windows Mail any way.

No more problem. So far everything else is running smoothly. But Windows Mail is useless for those who want it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!