1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Maggie88, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maggie88

Maggie88 Thread Starter

Hi. I really liked some of the old games. Are any of them likely to have been updated to newer systems? I'm talking really old, like Myst, 7th Guest, etc.

Also, with new games for the PC, I can't find any info on what controllers are needed to play the games. E.G. What do you use for "Bioshock" and the "Elder Scrolls" ??

Thanks.

Maggie

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Unlikely the older ones will have updates. There may be workarounds and certain compatibility modes you can look into for each game. I've installed a few "older games" on my windows 7 machines. a few require some extra know how and fiddling. If it popular enough there should be info on making it work on new systems or even a patch.

What do you mean by controllers? Most "newer" PC games work fine with the keyboard and mouse.
    You don't need a controller per-say to play. Unless you prefer to use one.
    I got the USB XBox receiver for my gaming laptop. It lets me use my XBox 360 wireless controller with games like Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, GTA IV, Fallout New Vegas. Many of the games work with the 360 controller by default so not much "tweaking" or setup.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    A program like DOSBOX should help you with those games mentioned as they were pure dos at the time.

The majority of USB controllers out there should work. Any computer or electronic store like Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, and Radio Shack should provide you with good information. Also reviews online on sites like www.newegg.com, www.frys.com and www.amazon.com should also help.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

There is also gog.com. They have prepacked a lot of older games with dosbox and they work pretty well. They sell them cheap. I got redneck rampage running on windows 7 that I bought from them.

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Others have pretty much covered it.

Personally, if you are using a PC I don't see why you would ever want to use a console controller for many game types. The keyboard + mouse combo is a far superior control methond IMO.

6. getthecansout

getthecansout

Just to say yes Myst does work under win 7 ive played it as well as Riven. But it was a while ago(ive forgotten how) if i can find how i`ll let you know.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087954

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice