1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old graphics adapter/cannot change resolution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by firebabe, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. firebabe

firebabe Thread Starter

I posted this in Win xp section but wasnt gettin much help there probably because its in the wrong section..
    I am using a very old computer ,it is only for a temporary time.It is aprox 10 or more years old.Its graphics card isnt even a card ,system device calls it an adapter.It is a SiS 5598/6326,When I had win98se,you could change the
    screen resolution,but now that I have xp it wont budge,it stays at,
    640 by 480 pixels,HIGH 24 bit.There are no drivers for xp for this old graphics adapter.Im I doomed until I get a new computer?Oh yes the moniter is very small too so the large resolution makes it a pain
    And for those wondering how on earth xp runs on a old computer because I updated the ram a bit and added a 7 gig drive

2. Alex W

Alex W

You probably are doomed if there is no support. Then again, do you NEED a higher resolution? If it's only temporary..

3. firebabe

firebabe Thread Starter

Well problem is my moniter is so small ,so with that and the big taskbar winodws and icons ,i need to resize everything and some programs are so big to fit in my screen ..So I wanted the res higher to make everything a bit smaller..the win98 se drivers for that adapter wont obviosly work on xp

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. firebabe

firebabe Thread Starter

Thanks for your response.Ok I extracted the files into a folder and update the graphic adapter by choosing a path to the folder,it did its scan and said Cannot find a better driver.but thanks anyhow..Ill just have to live with the big taskbar,windows ect...lol :D
    Thanks !

6. qldit

qldit

G'day Firebabe, sometimes it is wise to stop while you are in front, you most certainly have worked miracles getting XP up on that machine.
    If it has PCI you might try a simple video card, but you will probably run out of grunt if you try to anything much more adventurous than four megs or so.
    You should get an S3 or something like that for a couple of bucks.
    Cheers, qldit.

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

firebabe...

Just a question...

Have you tried to force the resolution change ?

Right click on an empty space on the desktop - Properties - Settings tab - Advanced button - Adapter tab - List all modes button, and choose a different resolution...

8. qldit

qldit

G'day, in that you have an old monitor be careful you don't lose the plot.
    Don't ask me how I know this!!!
    Cheers, qldit.

9. firebabe

firebabe Thread Starter

The motherboard is too old ..there is no spot to add my old sniper 2 graphics card.
    I tried that list all nodes and i see that there isnt any better resolution options all lower color like 256 and 16

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Right click on an empty space on the desktop - Properties - Settings tab - Advanced button - Adapter tab, and post how much memory the video has...

You may have to drop down to 256 colors...

11. qldit

qldit

G'day Firebabe, sounds like you have an old compaq desktop or something like that!
    With those rightangle add-on things.
    I would be careful you don't fix it to death!
    I am in awe of your abilities to get the thing working with XP.
    Cheers, qldit.

12. firebabe

firebabe Thread Starter

Hehe thanks:) I am amazed also.
    My "temporarly"Computer specs
    200 mhz
    64 ram
    7 gig
    extra drive 1.24 gig
    I really freed up the ram usage by going to system properties and then choosing Advance Tab/Performance settings tab then choosing "adjust for better performance,It doesnt look like normal xp after,it looks like a majorly improved WinME look.

13. qldit

qldit

G'day, clever, clever, getting rid of that standard xp desktop helps loads, it is resource hungry.
    I prefer the ME set up to all the rest, using classic and all those simple settings.
    If you keep going experimenting, try Lorma Linux, or one of the Linux Distros, it really clears the cobwebs from your brain.
    I can see it making incredible inroads into the "reliable, secure computing scene.
    Cheers, qldit.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may have to force Windows to take the driver. You should be able to select the driver through the Driver Update Wizard in Device Manager - should be the Install from a List option thats on the first or second window.

15. firebabe

firebabe Thread Starter

I tried that as well but I get these weird errors,probably cuz my OS is xp..
    its ok Ill just have to adjust for a while.Thanks very much for everyones help

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/350316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice