1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old Hard drive, new comp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flogma, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flogma

flogma Thread Starter

Similar situation to a lot that I have read but slightly different and I just want to make sure.

I have an old computer with 2 hard drives inside it and I want to take the larger one out and put it into my new computer. The old computer has XP installed onto the smaller drive, and I want to put the larger hard drive into a computer with Vista. Not really concerned with having 2 operating systems on the new computer, happy with Vista for now. How do I physically go about it? What do I need to know? Do programs I have installed on the drive need to be re-installed on the new computer? Do I need to re-format the drive? Any help would be great!

I was hoping to transfer some games and uni work across but if I have to re-format is this impossible?

Keep in mind I am an absolute idiot when it comes to computers so any links that you know that could help me execute this operation properly would be appreciated.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

All programs will need to be reinstalled after connecting the drives. You can copy over whatever you like before formatting to get the drive ready for storage use.

The jumpers need to be set correctly and the drive should then show up in Computer. Just click it and copy what you want.

After you have everything you want to keep moved from the drive, use Disk Management to remove the partitions, create nerw ones, and then format the drive. You can choose a drive letter, too.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice