1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old Hard drive to new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whawper, Aug 17, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. whawper

whawper Thread Starter

Hello, I am planning to build a new PC for myself however I would like to keep everything from my old PC. Instead of buying a brand new hard drive, can I just take out the old hard drive and install it in the new build with all my info still there?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

What version of Windows is on that hard drive. If it is Windows 10, then it might readjust itself to run on different hardware. But older versions of Windows cannot adjust itself.

How old is that hard drive?

3. whawper

whawper Thread Starter

It’s only a year old, it’s a 1TB WD Blue hard drive with windows 10 on it

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Two major issues here:

1) If the HDD is from an OEM computer (ie: Dell, HP, etc.), then the software license is tied to the original motherboard and cannot be moved.
    2) Windows doesn't like being moved. When installing Windows, it takes an inventory of the hardware (ie: motherboard, cpu, video card, etc.) and creates a profile and gathers drivers to run. If you move Windows to another PC, the entire hardware inventory is now wrong. Windows can sometimes boot and update drivers as needed. However, the system (and Windows Registry) is then bloated with all of the old drivers and hardware references. It is always recommended, when making major hardware changes (such as a motherboard), to perform a fresh install.

I recommend that you take you time, create backups of all your important data, and perform a fresh install of the OS and all of your programs. You will be much happier in the long run.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice