1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old HDD into powered case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tp3813, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tp3813

tp3813 Thread Starter

Would welcome some advice on hard disc matter.
    Got an old windows Netbook which is pretty useless with very low speed, but it's got files on there which would be useful and I don't have space on other devices.
    So I am thinking of doing what I did with an old computer before. I took out the HDD and transferred it to a powered HDD case, and used it as external hard drive, which worked perfectly well.
    Only problem with this netbook, during a Windows update something went wrong and Windows crashed and was totally unusable and was not able to reinstall it.
    So the question is, if I took out the HDD from the Windows corrupted netbook and put it into a powered case would it still work and data accessible by connecting with USB to my Windows 10 laptop.
    Or would the previous windows corruption stop it from working

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

I simply use a littleApricorn single-piece SATA-to-USB cable to connect 2.5" drives to my computer, like this:

[​IMG]

Then open a file manager to access the drive ... just like you would an external hard drive in an enclosure.

3. tp3813

tp3813 Thread Starter

OK thanks, be worth considering and no doubt cheaper.
    But question is still, will the old Netbooks windows corruption be an issue or will the HDD work as normal on other laptop?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Depends on how it's corrupted. It won't hurt the computer which you connect it to. And you won't know if it will work or what files are accessible until you connect it.

5. tp3813

tp3813 Thread Starter

Ok, thanks, actually just tried it. Had another powered case so took out HDD from that and inserted the potentially corrupt one. Worked no problem, all files still there...so lucky Moi:)
    So just need another case or Sata cable and should be fine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227524

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice