1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old HDD - New PC (W2k)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FlickLaser, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlickLaser

FlickLaser Thread Starter

Have sought high and low for an answer - hopefully I will get the one I want here - hee-elp!

I had a Notebook PC (PC1) make AJP 8880. It had 2 x 60Gb HDDs, 1Gb RAM, Pentium IV 2.4Ghz, 2 x DVDs. I also ran HyperOS on it so had Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP systems.

I bought an ACER 3400 Ferrari (PC2) with 80Gb HDD, 1Gb RAM, AMD Athlon 3000+ processor, 1 x DVD. Also loaded HyperOS into this. C: drive is XP Pro (SP2) and working fine. In one of the new HDD partitions I have copied a Windows 2000 partition from PC1 HDD - not primary.

Since then (and it has taken a few weeks what with other things going on) I have departed company with PC1.

I have now got round to test out my W2k on PC2. The way this works within HyperOS is that you simply swap to one of your other computers. So, in XP I swap to my W2k copy.

XP closes down as normal. W2k attempts to load but I get a BLUE screen stop error saying ACPI is not latest. Can't believe that as I have latest spec machine, but must be different to PC1 settings I guess.

So, 1st question is how to overcome this without upsetting my good XP system?

I imagine I will fail again if getting past this as the machine specification is different and I will no doubt get HAL problems. All the answers I have seen on this rely on doing some changes on the 'old' pc prior to changing the HDD out - I cannot do this, so how do I manipulate the W2k partition/drive in PC2 (I have full access to it as a data drive, so can edit files)?

I do not want to have to rebuild my W2k system as it has two years worth of gradual upgrading and installations - I probably couldn't redo some anyway.

Any real experts there? :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice