1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

old intel board not accepting dimm

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aburnside, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aburnside

aburnside Thread Starter

hello!

my girlfriend's system is an old, ap-style, system with i believe a 120mhz processor and 16mb ram in two 8mb simms. the intel 82440vx board (which i cannot find any documentation to online) has one dimm connector. the schematic in the manual shows it as dimm 0.

when i plug a 64mb pc100 (kingsington value ram) into the connector and boot, the system does not recognize the newly added ram. if i remove the two simms, the system doesn't boot. i took the ram and plugged it into one of my systems and it worked fine. open for suggestions.

andrew

2. brianF

brianF

can't find any info on the board.

Only though is if it's that old it may require pc66 memory.

Older motherboards weren't configured to work with the faster memory

3. stanggt2

stanggt2

Not real sure but you might look in the bios to see if you have to turn one off to use the other. I have never heard of this but it might be worth a try

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Ditto on Brian's PC66 suggestion. I have seen this situation so many times I could not even begin to count them.

Some of the older 66-MHz-bus systems just will not see 100-MHz memory--or, if it sees it at all, not see all of it.

Just last week, I installed a 64-Meg DIMM into an older system. It saw 16 megs of it. I put in a 256-Meg and it saw 32 Megs of it. I put in a 512 and it saw 64 Megs. Then there are those systems like yours that see none of it.

5. rugrat

rugrat

Ditto everyone else on the pc66. Sometimes those boards will see pc133 even when they will not see pc100. I have an old FIC 502 in the basement that is like that.

SeeYA

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice