1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old Internal dvdrw drive and new usb dvdrw have same fault

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mattressback, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mattressback

mattressback Thread Starter

Hi I’ve got a dell Vostro 430 with windows 7, it’s about 8 year old, two weeks ago the internal dvdrw drive which I use on a weekly basis suddenly stopped working, it would make noises like it was trying to spin up but never manage it so after deciding it was probably old age I bought an external usb3 portable DVD burner. It does exactly the same thing with one difference, it will play original dvds but shows exact same failiure to spin up with any RW DVD’s both +and -.

It gets stranger. About a year ago I did a clean install of windows on a new hard drive which is what is currently in the pc so thinking it must be a recent driver glitch or something I swapped it out for the old hard drive (which still works fine but was just taking forever to boot hence the clean install on a new hard drive) expecting the dvds to work but they don’t, both burners do exactly the same thing and when I try to click on them in my computer I get “not responding”

I’ve deleted upper and lower filters in registry but made no difference, I’ve deleted the internal drive from device manager and rebooted to let it reinstall it but made no difference
    Has anyone got any suggestions on cause?

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Your portable DVD player link doesn't show me any portable burners. All I see are players.

What brand and model portable burner did you buy?
    Does it have a Y- power plug?

Attached Files:

3. mattressback

I have just got it working, feel a bit of a fool, I’d been plugging it in a short usb3 extension cable as the ports are not very accessible at back of the pc and the cable on the DVD burner is only about 6inches long. It worked. Plugged directly into usb3 port, surprised because I had tried it direct into front usb2 ports with no joy.

Now however roxio software won’t find the drive, I’ve installed ashampoo though and that has worked

4. mattressback

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1201538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice