Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Internal HDr Converted to External HD- Troubleshoot

525 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Fireflycph 
#1 ·
Hi.

I recently had my old internal hard drive converted to an external hard drive. The problem is when i plug it onto my new laptop, it does not function properly. In This PC, the icon appears but the storage space does not. Also, the the windows hangs when I try to open it. Help please.

#2 ·
Please help us understand more what you are trying to do with the externsl drive. Is this just going to be used for extra storage? How did you format the external drive before using?

#3 ·
Where does the icon appear?
Was the drive wiped before being moved to an external? If it was you'll need to partition and format it.

To do that you can use the internal Disk Management in Windows. In the Search Window; Type the following (omitting the quotation marks):

"Diskmgmt.msc"

Then highlight your disk. Right Click and create a new simple Volume. You can leave the settings as default. After creating the partition you'll need to format it. The standard is the NTFS format. And, you can just do a quick format.

Just beware that if the drive was not wiped and there's existing partitions on it. Re-partitioning and formatting will remove ALL data from the drive.

It's possible that all you need to do is to assign it a drive letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.