Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Iomega Zip 100 drive...

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
How can I get this old Iomega drive to work on a parallel port with Windows XP? I have downloaded the latest s/w from Iomega... ran the install... rebooted, but the drive is still not recognized? Do I need to "Add new Hardware?"....

#3 ·
I doubt you will get it to work. WinXP does not like that set up of external devices set up in a "Passthrough" mode on parallel ports. It goes tilt and won't recognize anything connected.

I had that set up with an old scanner and prinner. When I changed the computer from an old WinSE to a new WinXP tried to hook up the printer and WinXP totally freaked out until I remember the scanner was connected as a Passthrough device and disconnected it. XP can also go bannanas even if you put a switch box on the parallel port.

XP only likes printers connected to parallel ports. Doesn't like older hardware it deems non-Plug and Play. One of the many ways it sucks.

As with all things WinXP, ensure you have a complete full backup before attempting any installation of something new. When it goes screwy, it really can get brown. You can try the Install Hardware route, but I doubt it will work, especially if two devices are sharing the same port.

#4 ·
Thanks Cosmic (and AcaCandy too)...

I am trying to move archived files of old zip100 disks... then burn CD's...
Any ideas?

The port that the drive is hooked to is not being used as a passthrough... I actually have printes through USB ports.... I am guessing that doesn't make much difference?

#5 ·
Try to install the drive on an older machine running WinSE. Should work like a charm. Even an old DOS machine with a CD burner should work. In that mode long file names would get truncated but it will work.

Something other than a XP machine. I have external ZIPs installed on old DOS machines in the Passthrough mode and they work super.

The other idea is find another machine with an internal ZIP drive installed and do the burning there. All ZIP drives of any size should be able to read 100MB disks. The drives / media should be 100% backward compatible.

#6 ·
From this ZIP Compatibility Chart it would seem that Iomega thinks parallel port drives work on XP. They're talking about the 250mb model, but the interface to the 100mb one is the same.

I just rummaged around in my closet and dug out a 250MB parallel port ZIP drive and connected to one of the XP systems. I turned the system on and loaded the latest version of IomegaWare and it works fine. When I select the ZIP-100, XP, and English for a driver, Iomega ZIP-100 Software they seem to think I can run that drive on XP.

#8 ·
Tape backups? I have an HP DDS-3 12-24gig that I used to use before I went to USB 2.0 drives and DVD's. :) I got rid of a couple of the floppy based CMS units recently...

#10 ·
Oh, I dumped the two Wangtek SCSI drives a long time ago, a friend of mine is still using one, and I don't know what he did with the other one! :D I also got rid of a couple other DAT 4mm drives, when I tried them, they no longer worked, couldn't see holding on to them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.