1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old laptop possibly dying out?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AllenR85, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AllenR85

AllenR85 Thread Starter

I bought this IBM ThinkPad T21 off this guy who lives near me for a couple hundred bucks. I may of possibly gotten ripped off for it, but at the time I sort of needed it so I didn't mind paying it.

Anyway, I know the laptop is pretty old. But recently it has been doing something slightly strange. Whenever I boot up Win XP with it, the boot screens loading bar will pause for a minute, then kick back in, do another pause, then load right up. I don't have a total problem with it, but I worry that this could be a sign for something serious. The specs of the system are:

Intel Pentium 3 796MHz
    256MB Ram
    30gig HD
    Windows XP SP2
    S3 Graphics Inc. SavageIX

Also I know the system isn't exactly built to run XP, but I did cut down alot of it's graphics to boost performance.

2. Striker840

Striker840

When is the last time you did a system defrag?
    That pause generally means windows cannot find the file needed and so it pauses while the system locates it.

Try a defrag and it should run ok.

3. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    I have a couple of equally old laptops that I put together from discarded units where I used to work. I run Windows XP Pro on them. They ain't speed demons, but they work very well for the occasions when I do actually use them. I first did a reformat and clean install of the Windows XP. I put only the minimum software I needed on the units. I notice that these units also do the pause/start routine you mention. The total boot time is actually pretty good for my machines. Did you do the reformat and reinstall? That cleans out the "build up" of junk that Windows collects over time and almost always reinvigorates the machine.

4. AllenR85

AllenR85 Thread Starter

It was a clean install of XP, so never really. But I did a defrag anyway and it still didn't fix the pausing.

It was basically a clean install, then some basic things were added in. Namely AVG, K-Lite Codec Pack, MS Office, CyberLink PowerDVD, and Mozilla Firefox.

5. Striker840

Striker840

Ok, how much do you have running on startup?
    All you really need is AVG and thats about it.

6. AllenR85

AllenR85 Thread Starter

Well, it looks like AVG wasn't installed, which is fine because I don't browse the internet with the thing anyway. I just checked my start up list, and it looks like the only things that started up are a laptop driver for something on it, and a MS Office thing.

7. markomus

markomus

I just worked on a laptop that was slower than molasses. After doing the maintenance and security routine (malware removal, registry cleaning, etc.) it still ran like a horse with all four sawed off. So I checked how much memory was installed: 248 MB!!! :eek: I opened up the memory bay to see what was installed. NOTHING! :eek: I ordered the maximum amount of memory she could handle (1GB) and now purrrrrrs like a little kitten. :) Try it! You'll like it! :)

(I also switched the paging file option to be managed by the system rather than the custom one, but that was only AFTER the new RAM. Before, it didn't make much of a difference. Afterwards, it did.)

Other than that, your system specs look fine (ok...slow proc, but for $200 you get what...well...you know): http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx

8. AllenR85

AllenR85 Thread Starter

Well to be honest, I'm not totally looking to upgrade the thing to due me just ending up giving it to my mother this week. And I know all she'll use it for is to play low quality store bought 50 in 1 games. I just worry that the system might suddenly die out while she's using it.

9. markomus

markomus

If she is playing freeware games w/o any antivirus or antispyware solutions, it probably will. :)

10. AllenR85

AllenR85 Thread Starter

I'm going to actually edit that post. The games she will be playing won't be freeware, they are off a disc that someone bought and lent to her. It's one of those sort of 50-games in one sort of games. The system won't be doing anything online.

11. markomus

markomus

Then a memory upgrade should do you good.

Wish you the best! :)

12. AllenR85

AllenR85 Thread Starter

Well, looks like something on it decided to go completely wrong. Just a few nights ago, suddenly the laptop started running insanely slow. Then I got a BSOD, now it won't even start up and is telling me when I try to turn the thing on that it had a disc read error. Remind me never to buy products off people who live around me again.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/639403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice