1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old Mac - Claris documents on floppy disks - HELP!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Scott Simon, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Simon

Scott Simon Thread Starter

I ambitiously took apart my 10+ year old Performa 6220CD for first time ever and sucked up about 10 lbs. of dust. Amazingly, I was able to get everything back together with no parts leftover. Then I fired up the computer and monitor and everything worked! Crisp and clean and humming like new. All software seemed to work and all documents on the hard drive were untouched, I was able to open, use and close all documents on the hard drive and everything was working fine. I inserted CD into newly cleaned drawer and tunes played on command. As you can imagine, I was feeling pretty proud of myself.

Then I inserted floppy disk that had previously worked on this computer. The disk was preformatted in the Macintosh format and they contained documents including several CLARIS text and spreadsheet documents. But they did not open. Instead the screen read . . .

This disk is unreadable by this Macintosh. Do you want to intialize the disk?
    Name: untitled
    Format: Macintosh 1.4MB
    Eject (button) Initialize (button)

I pressed the Initialize (button) and the screen read. . .

Initializing will erase all information on this disk.
    Cancel (button) Continue (button)

THIS IS WHERE I STOPPED. I PRESSED CANCEL AND THE DISK WAS EJECTED.
    I do NOT want to lose the information that is on the disks. How do I get the Performa 6220CD to read the floppy disks AS IT DID BEFORE I OPENED IT UP TO CLEAN IT?

At first, it sounds like a software problem, but it works fine with the hard drive and all the documents that are stored there. OBVIOUSLY, MY GOAL IS TO GET THE COMPUTER FUNCTIONING AS BEFORE THE CLEANING WHILE RETAINING ALL THE DOCUMENTS ON BOTH THE HARD DRIVE AND THE FLOPPY DISKS.

What to do? Suggestions?

Scott ([email protected])

2. firestormer

firestormer

I suggest moving this thread to another forum> Specifically the Mac OS forum

To do this contact the moddorators. and ask them nicely. They dont like multiple posts in different forums by the way.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice