1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old motherboard chocies

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dannyboyfx, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx Thread Starter

i am going to buy a mobo off of E-Bay.

There are a few choices,
    P2L97 - ASUS slot 1 $1.25
    (I think this only supports a PII)
    Gigabyte GA-6BXC ATX Motherboard Slot 1 $10

COMPAQ INTEL MOTHERBOARD SLOT 1 3 PCI 1 AGP 3 EISA $1
    ( i think this only supports a PII)

ASUS P3B-F Slot 1 ATX AGP PII PIII Motherboard 64 MB Ram $10

I am sure prices are going to change, have 2 days on the last asus, 4 on the rest. have any of these. Know that some are just kinda strange. Can i overclock any of them. I am getting a P3 slot 1 @600mhz.

Thank you

2. McTimson

McTimson

Got links to them? Are those starting prices? Because if they are, it'll most likely get a lot higher than that...the bids typically go a lot higher in the last few minutes of the auction.

3. chakorules

chakorules

My vote would be the ASUS P3B-F. That was a super nice motherboard in it's day. Very stable and I've personally had very good look with all that I ever used to build PCs.

4. n2gun

n2gun

I would stay away from the compaq. It is a very good possibility that only compaq parts will work with it, including the power supply.

5. dannyboyfx

6. zeddy

zeddy

Stick with the Asus boards.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That Gigabyte board is a piece of junk, I know I've used one. The Compaq board is properitary most likely and if it isn't its not going to be a good board. So that leaves the ASUS boards and the P3B-F is far superior P2L97 board. The P3B-F with the latest BIOS will handle any Celeron with a 66/100Mhz FSB up to 1100Mhz and any PIII with a 66/100Mhz FSB up to 1.0Ghz. No support for 133Mhz FSB PIII's.

8. McTimson

McTimson

Actually, the board that the processor used to be in was an Asus P2L97, so it will definitely work with that one...if the P3B-F is better though, then go with that...

9. dannyboyfx

the Asus has gone to 21.50
    How much is it worth?

16 hours left

10. McTimson

McTimson

It's going to get a lot higher than that, most of the bidding will still take place within the last few minutes...

PIII's are still being used a lot, so don't expect the good motherboards to be dirt cheap....

11. dannyboyfx

i bid on the P3B. I figure at $40, i will stop. 29 min. and $25

12. dannyboyfx

okay, i got the P3B for 24.50 + shipping. Thanks, i was about to get the gigabyte. are all their motherboards that bad, or just the early ones?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice