1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old MS6118 board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aw56001, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aw56001

aw56001 Thread Starter

Hello
    I have an old computer, which the family use for surfing and the odd MS Word document, with an MS6118 board with a Pentium 2 (266Mhz) and a 6.4GB harddrive. I can't find any reference to the MS6118 board on the MSI website.
    It has been upgraded through the years from Win95/98/98SE and is now running Win ME.
    If I bought a bigger hard drive would this board and processor support Win XP?
    Many thanks
    aw56001

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=308&kind=1

There's a link to MSI's board info. When you google those, you have to put the dash in there...

PII's don't support XP very well. Probably best to stick with 98 or ME on that one.
    XP Home requirements:

PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
    128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
    1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.
    Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
    CD-ROM or DVD drive
    Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

3. aw56001

aw56001 Thread Starter

telegramsam
    Many thanks for that.
    As a completely clueless computer deadhead could I take the P2 processor out of the MS6118 and put in a P3 or P4 that I could buy on ebay? If so would the new processor be too fast for the board and thus not a solution? I have all those other specs on the list that you kindly provided.
    Thanks again
    aw56001

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

That board only supports PII processors, up to 333Mhz. They are a Slot 1 configuration.

IF you can find one of those that still works, it still will not be a great computer for XP. It will be slow, and XP will eat almost 2GB of your 6.4GB hard drive, leaving you little in the way of storage. After adding a virus scanner and malware utilities, you don't have much left.

In my personal experience, I put XP on a machine with an AMD K6 300Mhz, which just barely squeaks in the required power. It was HORRIBLE to use. It was so slow that I couldn't even stand to use it!

5. aw56001

aw56001 Thread Starter

telegramsam
    Many thanks for the reply.
    I feared this was the case and will leave Win ME on it until something goes pop then buy a new one for the family to use for the internet. The/my main computer is superb but they don't get much of a chance to use it because I'm always on it!
    Thanks again
    aw56001:) :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice