1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old pc help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tswann75, Sep 13, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

I found this older pc in my closet (Dell inspiron 531s) and i was wondering how i could make it a little faster and play some simple games on it. It has a AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30ghz and 3gb of ram. It cant even handle roblox or any other games. I was wondering if its because of windows 10 being installed on it and it being a vista pc or something along them lines. I do have a 2gb ram card thats been laying around and i came out of a new laptop but i dont think thats a upgrade.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell Inspiron 531s desktop is a very old model which was designed for Windows XP and Windows Vista 32-bit.

It has a very weak AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ processor, so you can expect it to have the speed and performance of a turtle.
    Capture.JPG

It supports a maximum of 4 GB(2 GB X 2) of RAM.
    It uses 1.8 volt, CL=6, unbuffered, non-ECC DDR2-800 SDRAM modules.
    Note: You cannot use smaller laptop SODIMM modules in a desktop which requires larger SDRAM modules.

I'm actually surprised you were able to install Windows 10 in yours.
    Are all of its primary devices(graphic, audio, ethernet, wireless, touchpad, etc.) working okay?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

This is very slow. Would this cpu help it? AthlonAthlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1Ghz 89W Brisbane

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That processor is about a 39% improvement in speed, but it's unknown if your Dell Inspiron 531s desktop will support it.
    Capture2.JPG

Instead of spending money to upgrade the processor(if it's possible) and adding more RAM and adding other hardware in that desktop, you should spend it on a newer and faster reconditioned/refurbished desktop.

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

I know the cpu will work and its the highest i could go. Do you have any recommendations on some cheap pc's or laptops that could handle gaming? I am on a pretty slim budget.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Refurbished Dell OptiPlex PC's and Dell Precision laptops are pretty much all I've bought since 2008, so I can't recommend any other brands and models to you.

If you're looking for a PC or laptop specifically for gaming, going "cheap" is really not an option.

7. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

Im looking at a hp probook 6460b and it has a core i5, intel hd graphics, 8gb of ram. Do you think this thing is capable of playing some games? Its only $180 and its in perfect shape.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    HP ProBook 6460b Notebook PC (support site)
    It's several years old and designed for Windows Vista and Windows 7.
    That doesn't mean though it can't run Windows 10.

You didn't say which Intel Core i5 processor and which graphic device yours has.

These are the Intel Core i5 processors it comes with:
    Capture.JPG

These are the graphic devices it comes with:
    Capture2.JPG

Regardless of which processor and graphic device yours has, I doubt it will have enough "horsepower" for quality gaming.
    The hardware/gaming experts here can jump in and give you more advice.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If this is the processor it comes with(based on what you said in your other thread), it's a decent one for running Windows 10 and for normal functions, but I doubt it will handle newer games.

Capture3.JPG

That processor comes with an Intel HD Graphic 3000 device - which definitely won't be able to handle newer games.

Capture4.JPG

You cannot go "cheap" with a computer when it comes to quality gaming.

10. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

Im really not looking for quality gaming im just looking for 30fps at max but im not going to play like gta or cod im just going to play like spintires, american truck simulator things like that.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If a particular game you want to play has a web site, look for its "minimum" and "recommended" system requirements.
    You will then know if that HP is capable of playing it properly.

12. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

Ok i will check

13. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

In your opinion do you think its worth the money?

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It all depends on how good a shape it is, and if the seller gets good reviews from its customers.
    It probably will do fine for normal computing functions, but I doubt it has enough "horsepower" for gaming.

15. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

I was gaming on the acer aspire r11 before so it might be a slight upgrade
    Screenshot_2018-09-14-17-06-26.png Screenshot_2018-09-14-17-06-20.png

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice