1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old pc Optiplex 320 Amber light

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IJuatNeedHelp16, Aug 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IJuatNeedHelp16

IJuatNeedHelp16 Thread Starter

About a month ago I got my brothers extremely old pc from about 2008 ( the optiplex 320) and he gave it to me but it had a broken graphics card I believe, because everything was always tinted green but once I got the new graphics card (geforce GT 730) it worked fine but it had only two 1Gb sticks of ram so at that point I was just gonna try and wait till I had enough money get some more ram but that time never came because I got caught up in a bunch of other stuff, but recently I got it back out and got my stuff set back up and plugged it all in and noticed a flashing orange light on the power button which I've never seen before and I constantly tried different outlets different cords and everything, and I've come to the point where I'm like 70% sure its the mother board because when I unplug everything from the PSU except the hard drive and I plug it in the light doesn't flash and the computer starts actually making noise (before nothing happened but a flashing light). Another thing I noticed was before when I first got the graphics card the fan on it spun but now when I unplug everything from it except the hard drive it doesn't but it's probably just because it's not a big enough load to need the fan, but I'm just trying to give as much info as I possible could so I could fix this as soon as possible.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the exact "service tag" number and "express service code" number on that 2006 - 2007 era Dell OptiPlex 320?

Is it the smaller desktop or the larger minitower?
    Capture.JPG
    The smaller desktop has a 280W power supply.
    The larger minitower has a 305W power supply.

If the power button is blinking amber, these may be some of the causes:
    Capture2.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  3. lynx1021

lynx1021

flashing usually means bad power supply, solid would mean b/o motherboard

IJuatNeedHelp16 likes this.
  4. IJuatNeedHelp16

IJuatNeedHelp16 Thread Starter

It is a smaller desktop and I'm not sure of the service tag or express service code. :/

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

Here is a picture of a tag on one

Attached Files:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice