1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old PC says it can take 2Gb of memory, but only sees 1Gb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StoneAgeMan, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StoneAgeMan

StoneAgeMan Thread Starter

In Brief: I have an old PC (2006), that says it can support up to 2Gb of memory, but only had 512Mb installed. I put two 1Gb modules in but the POST only "sees" two 512 Mb. I have Flashed the BIOS to the latest version. Have I missed something?

Details:
    PC is a shop-bought, low-spec model from PCWorld (UK retail chain), in 2006. The make is a brand exclusive to that chain.
    Ei Systems 204
    Intel Celeron D 356 (3.33GHz)
    512 MB DDR2 memory
    80 GB Hard drive storage
    Unicrome Pro 3D/2D Graphics & Video integrated
    Windows XP SP2 (now SP3)

Motherboard is a Foxconn P4M800P7MB which says in the manual;
    The memory modules that I bought were Kingston ValueRam KVR533D2N4/1G, 1Gb PC2 - 4200 CL4 240-pin DIMM, see the specs page here (pdf).

2. StoneAgeMan

What could cause this? Is there anything in a BIOS that I could change on the menu?

3. bigbear

bigbear

4. StoneAgeMan

I think I've been quite careful to choose the right memory. I checked with CrucialScan and the online resources of the Computer manufacturer, the Motherboard manufacturer and the Memory manufacturer. That doesn't mean I got it right though. :).

Crucial.com System scan says

Then prompts to enter the manufacturer, Product Line and Model.

Further down the page it says;
    Then it describes my system as:
    Interestingly it shows two 512MB modules installed, DDR PC2-5200. Which is odd, as they are both 1GB PC2-4200.

If I follow the Crucial search function, when I enter the Manufacturer, etc. it takes me on a little journey. "Ei System" as manufacturer gets models 203 and 205, but not 204. "Foxconn" as manufacturer gets a list of motherboards, but not my one. So in this case, Crucial was slightly less than useful.

Checks that I made on the Foxconn site, and the Kingston site, were more... authoritative?... but brought me to this same place.

Kingston showed the following memory modules as being suitable for that motherboard;

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  6. StoneAgeMan

Funny you mention that. Someone else said to me "As a first guess I would say your motherboard doesn´t support double sided RAM sticks. (banks on each side of the stick)", which could have been the problem if my memory had been double-sided, but it is single-sided. None of the manufacturers or memory scanners talk about how to specify whether the memory modules are single- or double-sided.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you get a matched set of double-sided 1 GB modules, I think you'll be alright.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

8. StoneAgeMan

An update for the curious.
    I received another memory module from Kingston (via Amazon.co.uk), which is labelled as the same product, yet it has all different SDRAM packages on the board and the board itself is a different size (height). When I saw it I thought my prayers would be answered for sure. All the websites suggest that the type of memory I bought is the correct type, maybe just the slim version is more densely packed and the motherboard can't read it... well, sadly, the Mobo couldn't read this one at all. On its own in slot 1, or slot 2, the PC wouldn't boot. Also wouldn't boot if the wide card was in one slot and the slim card was in another.

After getting some input from the forums, which has helped me to better understand what is goin on, I have now raised fault reports on the websites for Foxconn and Kingston. I'll let you know how that goes.

9. bp936

bp936

just as an FYI, I had a similar problem to get more memory. Cruical helped a bit, since my motherboard is also old and no-name. I ended up finding a LEXAR 1 GB with numbers, that Cruical recommended,
    Both Lexar packages from the same store, same day, same descriptions, but they do look different. I had to switch them in the slots until BIOS recognized them. I did not do anything to BIOS>

Except my computer does not run any faster or better. I guess the Celerons (mine is the same as yours) aren't doing anything but what they want disregarding memory.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice