1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old problem resurfacing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pMo, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pMo

pMo Thread Starter

About 5 months ago I had an issue where the display on my monitor was degrading to the point where a few minutes after start up the picture would be completely scrambled. I took it up to a computer place and the guy advised me it was a problem with my motherboard, so I bought a new one from him which he installed and that fixed the problem 100%. Now, 5 months later, a similar, if not exactly the same, problem seems to be surfacing. The other day I just suddenly lost the signal to my monitor and it looked as if the computer was off when it wasnt. Since then I've been coming back to my computer in that state and needing a restart to get the image to show. Sometimes sound from programs is still playing and I can alt f4 out of them and everything... its running fine its just not showing up on the monitor. It's been a few days since that started happening again... now today I came back from being away from my computer to see a scrambled mess of pixels on my screen. Not moving like static on a TV,.. just scrambled, still. Just like 5 months ago at its worst point.

I'm confused... getting a new motherboard fixed it... but a few months later it returns? Do I just have bad luck with motherboards, or could this be something else?

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Need system specs, please.

If this is a branded system, post the make and model

If it's a home built, need mobo, and video card make if not onboard.

Operating system too--including service pack level...

3. pMo

pMo Thread Starter

It's pentium 4, 3.4 ghz, 1024 ram.

It was custom build by ncix.com with my choices of parts a few years ago. The video card is ATI radeon 9800 pro. Don't know what mobo means.

Windows XP home...don't know what service pack level is.

Update - It just got alot worse today. I can't go 3 minutes without the computer seeming to shut off (the keyboard lights even go out) when the computer is clearly still on (fans running, lights on) It's now quite different than the first problem, where it would just get scrambly... now it just freezes up, and 30 seconds later the screen goes blank. The restart button now will not work either, I have to turn the power on an off.

4. xtreampb

xtreampb

mobo means mother board

it should tell you everything about the os (operating system) if you right click on my computer and click on properties.

but i guess u cant do that with the prob u have getting worse like this.

5. pMo

pMo Thread Starter

Ok apparently I actually have XP pro... didnt know that :p

version 2002, service pack 2

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

When was the last time you cleaned this machine thoroughly? This sounds like a heat issue...

Hose out the heat sink and fan, make sure it's seated firmly.

Are you able to get into the BIOS and check the temperatures?

7. pMo

pMo Thread Starter

System temperature 35 C, 95 F
    CPU Temperature 63 C, 141 F
    Current CPU fan speed 2200 RPM
    Current System fan speed..... 0 RPM. <-- I looked at the fan both on the front and back ofmy computerand both seem to be running fine... dont know what that is about.

And no I've never cleaned it.

8. telegramsam

telegramsam

63c is pretty high--even for a 3.4Ghz Prescott.. That's at idle when it's read from your BIOS. That goes up when you're using processor intensive programs.

First, clean the heck out of the heat sink.

The system fan probably isn't monitored. If the fans are running, don't worry about it.

See what that does to the temperature. You may need to reapply thermal compound, but let's see what a surface cleaning does for it.

9. pMo

pMo Thread Starter

I will clean it but heres some new info: I'm currently running in safe mode and the problem is not occurring. Its been almost an hour, in normal mode it would never last more than 5 mins...

Nevertheless when I did one restart from safe mode to safe mode with networking, the restart did not take effect (it did the blank screen act) and I had to power down and power up again.

10. telegramsam

telegramsam

That's good--getting into safe mode might save you. If you CAN get into safe mode you likely have a driver issue.

See what the cleaning does and we'll continue from there.

11. pMo

pMo Thread Starter

The heat sink is clean. It was already pretty damn clean I really didnt have to do anything. The problem is still there... I'm also having increasing trouble getting the computer to restart or even power up properly... it just goes straight into blank screen mode. It seems to sometimes be impacted by whether the monitor is on or not... maybe its coincidence but alot of the time when it won't power up properly I turn off the monitor, do it again, and turn on the monitor and its working.

Once again in safe mode... still no problems this way.

12. pMo

pMo Thread Starter

Also FYI, when I start in normal mode I get one of those windows error message asking to send them a report... this last time I got it 3 times in a row.

13. Leec65

Leec65

i think drivers also but be sure and use driver cleaner first before installing new drivers

14. xtreampb

xtreampb

to me it sounds like the network drivers.

hey guys is there a way to boot up in safe mode and choose what drivers you want to run. that would help narrow down the driver issue.

15. pMo

pMo Thread Starter

Thanks for the help and advice guys, but I found the problem. The fan on my video card wasn't running.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice