1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

old rpg crashes

Discussion in 'Games' started by elu, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elu

elu Thread Starter

I seem to have a problem with old rpg's to run on my system.
    (Baldurs gate: tosc & icewind dale 2)
    They start fine and don't apear to give any problems, but halfway through character creation they crash... mouse doesn't move and keyboard is unresponsive, all i can do is reboot my computer.

my system information:
    P4 2.00ghz
    512Mb ddr
    Radeon 9800pro
    via onboard soundcard(ac97)
    windows xp home edition

can any1 help me ?

2. shadowcat

shadowcat

Hello and welcome to TSG!

Did you install Windows SP2? If so, take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2. Your games are not listed in in the MS Knowledge Base articles, but the two games you're playing may be affected by it.

Just so you know, Windows XP has trouble with backwards-compatibility with old games (i.e., does not play nice with games not made for Windows XP). I know Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast was released before WinXP. I'm not sure of Icewind Dale 2.

For Baldur's Gate, take a look at http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=315398&forum=11 and http://forums.bioware.com/viewforum.html?forum=11.

As for Icewind Dale 2 -- both Interplay and Black Isle Games went under (bankrupt), there is no "official" tech support for the game anymore. However, if you try the same trick as posted in the Baldur's Gate forum, it may work.

3. elu

elu Thread Starter

Thanks for your welcome...

But infortunatly Neither of these way's worked with me.
    I did many forum searches and found the ones you posted aswell, infortunatly i can't find any solution in them posts.

Also i updated my gfx card drivers and installed win xp sp2.

I also am aware that windows xp does not like older games... but I went through many forums trying to find a solution regarding those 2 games, and the apear to work fine on most xp computers.

I have tried everything within my capabilities and went to this forum as a final solution.

4. hawkeye53usa

hawkeye53usa

xp has a great litte tool in it it is compatabilty. all you do is right click on the game icon go to the compatilabity tab you can set the game to run in another windows os. only that game will run in a different windows os nothing else in your computer will be affected

5. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Indeed. Windows XP has compatibility issues, but many can be resolved by the compatibility tool. Just right-click on the program or shortcut, click on the Compatibility tab along the top, and set it for compatibility in Windows 95 or 98.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice