1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old secondary HDD, new system troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stoplosstm, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stoplosstm

stoplosstm Thread Starter

I recently rebuilt my system and I tried to add my old secondary hard drive to the new system, however when I try to access it I get denied with the msg disk structure is corrupt and unreadable. The old hard drive(500bg) was only used as data storage and I know it is still funtional, no OS was installed and no other partitions other than the primary were on it, also worked at the time I disassembled the old system. The hard drive in question was connected via sata then and is now. I have ruled out power issues. In bios the drive is recognized (however I am not sure what enabling/disabling hotplug means) and hotplug is set on defualt of disabled. In disk manager the hard drive is listed and says its healthy, however it is listed as RAW. I'm not positive on what the issue would be, I have read a few posts about hard drives running in IDE mode and AHCI. In device manager all the controllers (3) are AHCI. IF anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista 64 bit
    Processor: Phenom x4
    RAM: 4bg
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280, -1 Mb
    Motherboard: ASUST m4a###

This is my new bulid.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 32722 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 SLI , -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 244195 MB, Free - 107823 MB; G: Total - 244195 MB, Free - 241659 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., P8Z77-V DELUXE
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If there's nothing on that drive you want to keep Format it by right clicking it in Disk Management.

3. stoplosstm

stoplosstm Thread Starter

There is data I was planning on keeping about 150gb worth, the worse case scenario I rebuild my old system and get the data that way. That I am hoping to avoid.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

What I think has happened is that your new system is seeing that disk with different disk geometry to the old one.
    I would try it attached via USB and see if that works for you to get the data off it.

Do NOT use TESTDISK to write to it or try to correct it just yet as that will lose the data. Read only is fine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1080837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice