1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

old system question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kenshindono, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kenshindono

kenshindono Thread Starter

hmm.. figured id ask this here maybe get a sugestion or two. I have an ollllddd system that i use to play old games on. fallout, diablo that kinda stuf, since its got an old 4:3 monitor. I also play warcraft on it occasionally when theres multiple people over using my comps It also had a bunch of old anime and other files on it.

Its an old AMD thunderbird runnin win 2k. with a geforce3 gfx card. I think the mb is an old asus a7m266. Iwas transfering some stuff to it with a flash stick and it kinda locked up from me removing it and putting it back in a few times so i just did a manual reset, I left the flash stick in and wasn't paying attention and it was trying to do a hadrive scan on it so i just reset it again and now i cant get the thing to start up for some reason. Ya i shoulda just let it finish the scan if i hadn't canceled it fast enough but i didn't
    I getting a no sync input message and it just beeps a few times (3) whenn i turn it on. I thought i somehow fried the gfx card though i dont know how thats possible, i tried taking it out and putting it back in but no luck. Ive tried removing most components and putting them back in but still no luck.. seems like its graphic problem since the beeps i had with no gfx card but the ram in were the same, but when it was no ram i got a different beep. Any sugestins on what to try? this is kinda odd, id like to get it back up, it doesn't seem like anythings booting at all, because i tried leaving the sound plugged in to see if i heard the windows startup but i never do. just the no sync input msg and the 3 beeps

2. kenshindono

hmm no sugestions? think it may be the gfx card somehow but i dont have another one to swap out and test, the other ones i have are too recent and wont fit in the old agp slot

anything else i can try?

3. jazz3000

jazz3000

Did you try to reset through the CMOS battery to see if it would boot after clearing that?
    I'm wondering more if it's your PSU if your not getting any boot at all. Is it possible that gave out with all you were doing. Got one you can swap in to check it out? Jazz

4. kenshindono

i do have another PSU i can try slappin that in and give it a shot. the 3 beeps has me thinking gfx card though hmm

guess ill try to reset the cmos battery, any idea how i go about doing that, havent done that before

5. kenshindono

quick bump for CMOS battery manual reset.. never done that not sure how to go about it

6. jazz3000

jazz3000

7. kenshindono

ah tnx. hmm looks like that totally resets the bios to the default setting so id lose my upgrades.. since its so old that would kidna suck i remember having a pain updating it in the first place.

I'll double check with a friend at work this weekend who had a really old computer, if he still has it i'll try borrowing his gfx card and plugging it in first, if not i gues i'll do this on mon

tnx for the info i'll post how it goes

8. jazz3000

jazz3000

I understand that. If it works great. It's good to have friends sometimes. Jazz
    If you have problems and you have to reset someone is always in here.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Resetting cmos is not going to cause you to lose any bios update you have done. It simply resets the cmos to default. It cannot cause a bios to downgrade to an older version. To properly reset cmos, do the following.
    1 Pull the power cord from the back of the machine
    2 Push the ON button two or three times. This removes any residual charge from the pw supply caps.
    3 Open the case and move the cmos jumper from the keep to the clear position. Leave it for a min of 30 sec. Note asus calls this jumper RTC [real time clock]
    4 Replace jumper to the keep position.
    5 Replace the pw cord.
    6 Pw ON the machine and enter the bios
    7 Load defaults; save settings and restart.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. If this is an old system that also supports duron cpus, the fsb will often reset to 100 resulting in an underclocked cpu. This is very simple to fix by entering the bios and setting the correct fsb.

11. jazz3000

jazz3000

Thanks crj. Jazz

12. kenshindono

hmm well, crap. Friend doesn't have the old gfx card, checked with pretty much everyone i know and no luck. One friend has a really old pc thats missing some parts i may be able to take my gfx card and other stuff down there and test it, but im not sure if that thing would even work with working stuff, so not the best judge of the gfx cards integrity

I reset the Cmos by just taking the battery out, poped it out for like 3 mins then put it back in (wasn't paying attention which way it went in, lol tried it both ways i guess the side with the writing goes face up) and it still doesnt' start up, gives me the 3 beeps and no sync input =(

so what else can i try. I may have another PSU though it would be way newer, i dont think you can use a PSU too high can you? other than that im thinking just the gfx card but i have no way to verify that because its so old i dont have an alternitive to slap in there

13. jazz3000

jazz3000

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml I'd pop over here to check the beep codes for your bios.
    You apparently pulled the ram and reinserted one at a time to check to see if one was bad?
    What type of beeps occurred when there was no ram and no video? The video not being present would cause it's own beep code error.
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-95-98-me/489773-solved-no-sync-input.html Here's one post in the forum with a solved. But I'm pretty sure it's not your situation. LOL
    Let us know...Jazz

ps: Got an extra CMOS battery (new) hanging around? Only because sometimes when they die there's a problem.

14. kenshindono

3 beeps, one slightly longer followed by 2 faster ones

I checked some old documentation i had earlier this week and i think thats under the agp slot/gfx card problem. The beeps i got with no ram were different, but when i had no gfx card it was the same beep i belive.

ya i tried it with one stick at a time in memory back when i first was screwing with it, no luck. looked at that link and im pretty sure its the award bios which has no other info on the beeps

hmm.. dont thin i got another battery, kinda odd it would crap out like that, it looks like a regular watch battery almost

any other sugestions? should i try messin with a different power source?

15. kenshindono

rats no other sugestions *sigh* may have to just try to recover the HD data and scrap this thing =(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice