1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old Tech needs New Advice!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jsmith24, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsmith24

jsmith24 Thread Starter

Hello all!

I worked as a tech/builder/analyst/network guru, etc., for about 15 years, but I've been out of the loop now for about four years and need some advice on my upgrade. Here's what I'd like to be able to do:

- DVD and HD (BluRay) video editing and authoring (just got a new HD camcorder)
    - Some gaming, though I am NOT even close to being a heavy gamer
    - Photo editing
    - Typical daily stuff (Office, etc.)

I know that the last two things can be done on just about any machine, even lowest of the low, but I'm more concerned with being able to edit video and properly burn DVD and BluRay stuff.

Here are my current system specs:
    [*]OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    [*]Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
    [*]RAM: 1 GB Dual Channel
    [*]Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS , 256 Mb
    [*]Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., A8N5X

So, what I'd like to know from the more informed minds out there are these:

- What's going to be the better processor - AMD or Intel? I don't want to go too high end, so I've focused on something with specs like the i3 core.

- What kind of video card do I really want?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jack

2. Haseo34

Haseo34

Well personally for me I would lean more towards AMD. You can get decent cheap AMD Phenom x2 (Dual core) That actually can be unlocked to use 2 Extra Cores, making it a quad. But other than that, I would suggest these..for what your doing

Processor:

Video Card
    A Cheaper Card Would be THIS

I mean, anything RADEON 5000 Series should cover what you would like to do.

Obviously a newer Motherboard is needed..Anything that Supports Socket AM3 Would match that Processor.
    Probably will obviously want some RAM..
    Which this is a good deal

Not many people use close to even maxing out their DDR3..even at 4GB. But thats a decent start :)

Definitely make sure, if your using AMD Equipment, that you get a Power supply with 8Pin for the 12v AUX on the board :)

Anything else? :) Welcome back to the Tech Community!

Oh! Thing is... Why the AMD Would be better?

AMD is better for multi-core utilization, as where an i3(dual core without hyperthreading) doesn't obviously have as much power, and wont utilize properly. Even an i5 Wouldn't really stand in pair with a straight up AMD Quad. No hyperthreading, just straight performance. They are very overclockable and just beautiful in speed and temperature :)
    I mean, with HD Videos, your going to want all the multi-core utilization you can get. Encoding large video files with programs today can handle multi-core very well. Nothing comes close, as said before, to having full realistic physical cores :)

I will be glad to help out with anything you need!

One other note: Thing is which computers today, is that it is so cheap now to build such a prime material computer :)

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Either amd or intel will do a fine job for you. FWIW I would go with an amd build however that is up to you. I have both amds and intel here and both work very well.
    Some recommendations;
    Motherboard
    CPU
    Memory
    Video card
    Power supply
    The pw supply might be a little bit of overkill however it has a lot of room for upgrades if you want. Just stay away from junk ie cheap parts and you should be fine. Stick with asus or gigabyte for a mb, corsair for memory and pw supply, etc.

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973518

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice