Old Threads are Automatically Closed

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
We've had a problem with new users replying to very old threads (sometimes from years ago). Often they're having a similar problem, but sometimes they're not. In either case, it adds confusion to post a "me too" to a thread that died a long time ago. As a result, I've just written a program that will basically close any thread that hasn't received a reply for 45 days.

It works like this: If a particular thread hasn't received any replies in 45 days, it will be "closed" and will not accept any new replies. We've made an exception for all Community forums (like Random and Civilized Debate) so that threads in those forums will not automatically be closed. If there's some reason you want to re-open a thread that's been closed, you will be given a link to ask a Moderator to re-open it for you.

We hope that this new policy will help reduce some work for our very busy Moderators and also help prevent confusion from misplaced replies. Feel free to reply back or contact me directly if you have any questions. Thanks! :)

ekim68

Mike
Thanks Mike, that's a good thing, should save some space.....Nice avatar, BTW...

Sounds like a good thing to do. I know I had a number of post this pass week in old and some very old threads.

I like your new TechGuy's Avatar.

Drabdr

Brad
So then to understand, from a new guy:

Community forum- Would you prefer bumping old threads, or start new ones? Say I wanted to talk about a question or subject of interest, how far back does the group think people should look before starting new ones? Also, I happen to recall V-bulletin's search feature isn't the greatest. Are there additional tools here?

Other than community forum-obviously most of these will be help-type questions, and you don't want those threads resurrected. If a user has a similar issue to another thread, does that help to post the link? Or does the community here find it overall better just to start a new?

NOTE: Thank you very much for having oversight to put such information in community threads, where everyone can understand how things work.(y)

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
For tech forums, I'd write enough about your problem so that it can stand by itself. After that, I'm fine with linking to a past thread if you feel it's relevant.

For community forums, I think bringing topics "back from the dead" will vary on a case-by-case basis. For example, if it's a generic thread on a presidential candidate, just start a new thread. On the other hand, if it's a very specific topic and there's relevant information in the old thread, feel free to bring it back. Just my two cents. :)

As for searching, we've done some modification to the vBulletin code to make our search a little more useful, but it's far from perfect. If you click on the Search link at the top-right of any page (just under the Log Out option), you'll find that there's also a choice to search using Google. Google's algorithms are far beyond anything we could offer, but has the disadvantage of only searching those pages that Google has indexed. This means that recent posts may not be included in Google's search.

Hope that helps, and thanks for joining us!

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
It might be worth mentioning this in the welcome guide, where you've said to "try searching our site to see if someone has already asked the same question." Just to avoid confusion and all.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online