Old Toshiba laptop won't start up after Windows 98 reinstall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cazt

I have an ancient (2003) Toshiba Satellite with Windows 98. It worked fine for what it was but no use to me now and I thought I'd prepare it for recycling and (I thought) reinstalled the OS from the Windows CD. After that, all I can get is the opening Toshiba screen, after which a 'This program has performed an illegal operation and will shut down' screen appears and I can get no further. This also happens in Safe mode. Is there anything I can do, short of throwing out the hard drive? Ideally I'd like to get it to a state where it could be recycled and/or used by someone else.
One other thing, probably unrelated - when going into Safe mode, a dialogue box comes up with a choice of 'Original configuration' or 'Undocked' - not sure which this stand-alone laptop will be but have tried both with no difference in the result.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
What's the complete model number of that Toshiba Satellite laptop?
(Note: 2 sets of characters separated by a dash comprises the complete model number)

What's the exact serial number on it?

---------------------------------------------------------------

If that laptop was manufactured or purchased new in 2003, it should've come with Windows XP.

What's the exact Windows version on its Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online