Old USB Drivers Won't Uninstall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hulk701

Banned
Hey Gang,

I'm using Win98SE. I have an MSI KM2M Combo-L motherboard. I have a Genesys USB2 IDE to USB device.

The problem with this device is that it doesn't have USB2 capabilities in the WinXP part of my system. I've tried to find XP update drivers but to no avail.

My primary drive C, has Win98 and is the default boot option. My second drive is D, and has Windows XP PRO on it.

To fix my probem, I purchased a new IDE to USB2 adapter that is compatible with both operating system.

With this new ide to usb 2 adapter I don't need any drivers for XP but I do for 98. My probem is that I can't uninstall the old Genesys drivers completely in 98. Whenever I try to point the installation wizard to location of the new drivers it always loads the old drivers automatically. When I try to add the new drivers manually it tells me that the best drivers are aleady installed.

Things I've tried already:

Uninstalling through Add/Remove in Control Panel in Safe Mode
Uninstalling usbmonit.exe with McAfee Uninstaller

I have a feeling that backup drivers are installed somewhere in cabs or some other place and I'll never be able to delete them

Thanks,
HULK!:eek:

Good Morning Hulk701, Obviously the device is apparent in the device manager, have you tried opening the applet and using the drivers tab then going to "update drivers".
From memory this goes into the automatic search kind of thing which is not desired, as it will usually keep telling you the best drivers for this device is already installed..
So it needs the alternate path of "have disk" or directing it to the actual driver location, and disregarding the message that "this driver is incorrect" or whatever, then installing that one of your choice.

If you can manage this it should no longer call the other driver set.

I haven't done this with an IDE/USB device so it may be more complex than I am thinking, (taking into account the IDE consideraton)

By the way you might do a search for "RTools" by Ronaldo, it is a clever little W-98 crash restoration program that is incredibly useful. It saves a duplicated set of system files and easily allows them to be restored in the event of a catastrophe.
I used it in every W-98 and W-ME install I did and it was incredibly useful.
In the event of a catastrophe, it simply needs to use an ordinary boot disk to boot and give access to the C: drive, select the RTools directory and type "repair" then reboot the machine. This is a gem of a program!

Cheers, qldit.

Hulk701

Banned
Hi Qldit,

I tried your suggestion and I got it to install and upate but I also got an error message in my Device Manager saying something was wrong with the installation. No doubt probably the old driver conflicting with the new driver.

Thanks anyway,

HULK!

Hulk701

Banned
yes it IS a pain.

Yes the new USB does work but it only works in XP beause I can't uninstall the old drivers in 98

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You may need to remove the old driver references in the registry, that appears to be why it won't forget them.

Remove the new USB card.

Unplug ALL USB devices.

Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.
When this is done, reboot, and check to make sure none of the old drivers reappeared in Device Manager.

Power down, install the new card, reboot and try installing the new drivers.

Hulk701

Banned
Hi John,

Thanks again for your help.

I don't have a usb card. I have a IDE to USB2 cable. I also have to enable USB2 in the motherboard via the bios in the motherboard.

When I go into the device manager in 98, I don't have a specific "View" option. The only options I have in 98 under Device Manager are "View Devices by Type" and "View Devices by Connection." So there is no "View, Hidden Devices" option.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
My W98 grey cells are fading, I don't remember all the options for that version anymore. :) I was referring to the USB controller on the MB, that's probably where this issue starts.

Hulk701

Banned
Do you want me to disable USB2 on the MB before or after I remove the devices in the Device Manager?

HULK!:)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You don't disable the USB on the MB, you just unplug all the USB devices, then uninstall all the stuff under USB controllers, as well as any unknown devices under the big yellow ?. Then you reboot and let Windows discover the stuff again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online