1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Old VHS Tape Player - how to get it to work with new TV

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Maggie88, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maggie88

Maggie88 Thread Starter

How do I get my old JVC VHS tape player to work with a new flat screen TV? I have a nice collection of old VHS tapes (movies) and would love to play them while I work out. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Does your new tv require a cable box or DTA? If so, you'll need to do more than connect the red, white and yellow plugs between the tv and VCR if you want to watch tv on it as well as tapes.

4. kenbok51

kenbok51

Most older VCR's use a three connection scheme called Composite (as opposed to the newer Component that has five). Composite connections are usually red and white for audio right (red) and white (left) and a yellow connector for the video signal. Hopefully your TV has a Composite input with a red and white for audio and yellow for video. The other type which gives a higher quality picture (Component) has three video connectors (red, green and blue sometimes the blue looks more like purple) but the video connectors are all joined as one cord with three plugs at either end. The Component system also uses a separate red and white cord for audio just like Composite for a total of five.

If your TV has the component connectors, you would hook the three color coded wires (red and white to audio and yellow to video) there and using the TV source selector to select the Component screen when watching VCR movies. The component connectors on the TV can be in the back, on the side, or even hidden in a small door somewhere you need to open. But most TV's today do not use the little hidden door anymore (just in case yours does I mentioned it).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1206974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice