1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

old viewsonic monitor problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by viewsonic, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. viewsonic

viewsonic Thread Starter

please help................my computer is quite old in computer years......about 6 or 7 years old.................i've never had any problems with it until now.....after recently moving and not having it set up for a few months i finally got it ready to use again......it was all running fine for about two days when i started having the monitor problem..........i have a viewsonic A90 screen..........the image on the screen will zoom towards the center and then the screen will turn black............if i turn it off and on it will just do the same thing and go black again......at one point it started working again for a few hours but that's it......i had the whole computer running off an high grade extention cord which i thought may have been the problem but i have moved it off the extention and i am still having the problem......i have fiddled with the cords etc and it didn't help..................please help me.....is the screen totally gonners????? this is very strange..........i've never seen a screen do this

greatful for any help........thanks

2. merlin73

merlin73

Howdy Viewsonic,

Yes it seems your monitor is out. I had the same problem a few years back with a NEC. What you can do to save it for a couple days or so, is (unplug it) open the back and there will be a spring on a flat metal plate at the bottom. Pull up on the metal plate just a little and this will stop the image from "shrinking".. But it wont last forever that way..

3. viewsonic

viewsonic Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestion...........i took the cover off the back and didn't see anything like you described..............any suggestions...help.........thanks

4. erkansus

erkansus

welcome to the forums

ok can you take off the back and show us a picture by taking one thanks if you dont know how to attach a picture heres how
    when you post a reply go down and find an option called manage attachments browse your computer and find the picture and press ok then just post the reply.... hope this helps

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Messing around inside a monitor can be a very dangerous adventure. Voltages stored in some of the capacitors can be quite high. You can find a very inexpensive Used CRT monitor if you are strapped for cash. I have even picked them up at Salvation Army Store for less than $10 (US) that worked for years after.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It sounds like you are losing the EHT (the 25,000 volt) supply, its simply not worth fixing, any repair would cost many times more than the monitor.

Unless you really know what you are doing, older CRT monitors will bite you severely. The EHT can jump an inch to your hand...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/582883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice